View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Had the first ride on the 300 on Saturday. Did setup on the bike last week, greasing bearings and anti-seizing small fasteners. Nice build quality, and smart design. Fit and finish of plastic and small bits are really nice, comparable to a Japanese bike. Braided steel brake lines, tool less access to the Twin Air filter, full street legal wiring and lighting, all that was missing is turn signals. NKN bearings that even had some lithium grease in them! Nicely detailed machine.

Only three things I didn't like about this bike. First, the tank is about .75 gallons too small for two hour hare scrambles. IMS is working on new tanks, 2.8 or 3.2 gallons, they should be out in March. Second, the right rear numberplate has a square leading edge that pranged me right in the calf repeatedly - gave me a nice Beta bruise. I'll have to fix up some padding above my boot (I'm 6'1" tall). Third, the fork is harsh in the midstroke and uses up a lot of the stroke in deep whoops. I'm 190 lbs without gear. I'll need stiffer springs front and rear for my weight. Talking to Stillwell Performance about getting the fork revalved right away before the race season starts and just be done with it.

Rest of the bike is fantastic. Turns great, starts first kick, clutch action is smooth, gearing seemed on even with the 48T rear, and the power is amazing. Smooth off the bottom and then just keeps pulling. Top end is strong, I don't see need to touch this motor at all. Stock jetting was much closer than what I experienced with Gassers. I'm happy I dove in and took a chance on this bike, sight unseen.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper