View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Sounds like your problem was just a slightly dragging clutch. Thinner viscosity oils do help and may completely solve your problem. If not check you clutch for warped plates and/or a notched basket. Rotella (full synthetic-it's the thinnest) also works great and is only $21 a gallon at walmart. If your problem comes back after the trans oil starts getting dirty it may also be a scorpion gear which can be fixed by smoothing the edges. The scorpion gear is a stamped metal part that can hang up if it is not perfectly smooth. This is a known problem going back to the early days. Most GG bikes have no problem ever but some do. My 07 did - it shifted fine until the oil got dirty then would hang up until I changed the oil. The edges of the gear felt ok but were rough enough to trap metal particles that were being carried by the oil. These small metal shavings are present in any new engine. The fix is simple, easy, and permanent you will have to remove the shifter, kick start lever, rear brake lever and the right engine cover. I believe you have to drain your coolant as well as the oil. Since your engine is not new I would look very closely at your drain plug and elsewhere for metal filings or damage to bearings or gears.