View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
My friend went from a ttr230 to a slightly lowered GG and it works very well for him. He does not have the magic button start so there are times when starting is a little tricky. You can lower the suspension with different linkage "dog bones" for $50 used. I have a few pairs of them hanging around. Even with the minor changes to geometry from dropping the fork tubes and link bars it will handle 10x better than your current biike.
That's good to hear. If he only had to lower it a bit, that makes me feel more confident that it'll work for me. I ride my 230 about as high as I can (forks all the way down in the tubes, and shock preload as high as I can get it for the sag to be roughly correct), and I wouldn't have any problem with something being even a little higher than that.

Honestly, if the e-start works, that takes away at least 75% of my concerns about a taller seat height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvangeel View Post
I am 5?7?. I have lowered my 2005 EC250 1.5? in the front and rear. It is great when it gets technical and you need to touch the ground. I do hit a bit more things here and there because of the ground clearance, but it isn?t too bad. When riding along at speed I don?t notice the weight of the GG at all. Regarding dead lifting it over obstacles, I don?t know if 230lbs vs 250lbs would be that much different. Either way you are going to blow a nut out! I just tend to push it back down the obstacle and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll tend to re-start also if I don't make something. But when you make it 95% of the way, and the only thing left is to get your back tire up something, and all you've got to do is swing that back end up and over, I'll grab it and pull. And in those cases, I've done it enough on my 230 and XR400 to tell you that 20 pounds is a HUGE difference.

But, I've lived with it on my 230 for quite a while now. Don't imagine I'll be disappointed if a GG is the same way. Just as long as it's not worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
My observation having owned 200cc gassers (99&02) and ridden with a lot of 200ktms is the gasser (if stock) will lug out better but have less power below half throttle. Part of that I suspect is because the ktm runs a smaller carb. Most gasser 200s you will find have a 38mm carb - changing to a 36mm lectron should really wake it up on the bottom. Doing a squish mod on the cylinder head also gives a noticeable increase in power and gas mileage for under $90. One last thing to consider is a 250 gasser. They are easier to find and have way more bottom end power than the 200 gasser or ktm. As for electric start GasGas started putting it on bikes in 2010 but the 200 and 250 are so easy to crank over that it isn't necessary. Ktms seem to be much harder to crank for some reason.
Good info.

Good thing I'm actively looking at a 250!