View Single Post
Old 11-19-2023, 12:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Little Things That Make a Difference (add yours)

Recently I changed a couple of things on my bike and am surprised at how much difference some "little things" can make.

(1) Shock Rebound - On a bit of a whim, I added 5 clicks of rebound damping to the rear. Instantly, the bike launched off of whoops/obstacles and brought the front end up, making it easier to clear the next whoop/obstacle.

Because rebound slightly affects compression damping, and I was trying to get things softer, I had removed rebound. But the effect was to make the bike flatten out (or dive) when going over a log or off of a rock, and the rear suspension felt kind of "dead". Now I don't have to jerk with my arms trying to loft the front end. The suspension does it for me!

(2) Bar Clamp Position - I had my bars in the rear hole, with the clamp in the forward position. I realized that I was riding with an "arms straight" approach - so I spun the clamps toward the rear. I am surprised at how much easier and more balanced I feel when climbing hills while standing. I can get my weight forward much better, and the change in position was only a few mm.

So clicks and a mm or two can make a difference!

What "Little Things" have made a difference for you? Feel free to add your thoughts!

Jeff