Thread: New GasGas name
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I will say I'm not fond of the name but I wasn't fond of the name GasGas either when I first heard it. I look at it like this, all successful brands started somewhere with no brand recognition. Motorcycles from Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki were unknowns when they hit American shores but they managed to make it all these years. Same with KTM, Husqvarna, Beta, TM, Sherco, and GasGas. While I wouldn't mind a name change I'm not going to worry about it either way. If Reiju is really wanting this venture to succeed, and puts in the R&D and cash, I suspect in ten years everyone will know the brand as well as the other European brands.
I have no doubt Reiju will be successful with the GG 2stroke platfom in europe where they have hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of bikes running around with their name on them but here it's nada -a clean sheet. To build up a brand you need something new,different,better along with mega advertizing so people know about it. Honda did it in the 60s with small well made but cheap bikes and the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"advertisement. Kawaski did it in the late 60s with 2strokes and 4strokes that were the fastest street bikes of their time. Yamaha and Suzuki made their names in the woods and on the track in the 70s and 80s. Those were the decades when motorcycling was growing by leaps and bounds. Today is different not only is there much fewer new,young people coming into the sport but also important there is much less inovation in the bikes themselves - why pay 10 grand for a new bike when it is only marginally better than the 10 year old bike you already have. In other woods it's a much tougher market than it was 40-50 years ago. Why make it more so with a name that no one knows and no one can pronounce correctly.