Thread: heat cycling
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
All good.

I think the answer is yes, and probably for everyone. No one builds a fresh engine and smashes it hard on it's initial start up.

There will always be a series of heat cycles prior to really putting a heavy load on it.. I don't particularly call it heat cycling in regards to tempering or changing the structure of metals.

It's more so to ensure the engine is sound.. That there are no unexpected issues (oil leaks, fuel leaks, coolant leaks, air leaks, unexpected noises or behaviour).

From there on in, the heat cycles occur every time it is used.

PS. Even buying a new bike from a dealer the engine will have been started/tested in the factory, again at pre delivery, and most of us will give the bike a start or light ride somewhere before really put it to work. Thus, I'm not really concerned with 'heat cycles'. I care about a sound engine with correct tolerances. I care that the fuelling is correct, and the cooling too. Then I focus on bedding the rings.
No bad feelings Jakobi, always like your posts and enjoy reading them.
I see it like you, I probably do what everyone does when starting a new engine for the first time. I don't heat cycle it nor do I brake it in. For me the most important is to let it completely warm up under low loads. And I use 40:1 premix the first full tank. But other than that I don't do anything special.

The Sapnish guy said, and here is probably the answer for you swazi_matt, that when they have a brand new engine they treat it very special. I assume its either brand new or overhauled (new piston, rings etc.) and hasn't been started, tested or used before.

I never heard that before on simple engines but I know a lot about how multi cylinder race engines are treated. I know that the legendary Judd V8 is broken in in a very special way as I had the chance to talk the tech chief. Any time before its started oil and water are warmed up or it goes west, but that's another story...