Temperature (degF) = 60F to 90F
Elevation (feet) = 0 to 3000 Feet
Main jet = 170
Pilot jet = 38
Needle & notch = N1EG Notch 1 (leanest)
Air screw setting = 1 Turn Out
Throttle valve/slide = 7

Results:

Starts easy, idles nice, clean and crisp straight from idle to all throttle positions, pulls hard. Very pleased with it.

Running on 98 Octane Unleaded.

Ipone Samourai 100% Synthectic or Motorex Power Cross 100% Synthetic both at 2% (50:1)

I read a lot of negative comments about the N1EG needle but it works great for me. Maybe I've just dropped lucky and the N1EG suits my carb/bike.

One thing I noticed is it's very sensitive to clip position. On notch 4 it won't start properly, keeps wetting the plug. At notch 3 and 2 it won't pull cleanly at 50% to 75% throttle. At notch 1 it works great.

Thanks to MattR for setting up this thread, very useful.
Have you tried the RB Designs head mod? It's well worth the money in fuel mileage alone, and it makes throttle response much more crisp.

My riding elevations are very similar to yours.
In my 2006 DE300 with the AS1 carb, my favorite settings are:

Main jet summer-175 winter-178 (If there are going to be long wfo straights in a hare scramble I always run the 178)

Needle - N1EG with clip in second groove from the top

pilot jet - 42 (best idle for my bike. 45 gave stronger/harder mx style starts, but loaded up and fouled plugs while working trail during the summer in the "low" mountains of Arkansas. I think it was because of extended idling and so much trailing throttle going down long downhills. With the 42 pilot it didn't load up, and only spooged out the exhaust just a little bit.)

Slide - 7

I mix non-ethanol 93 octane premium pump gas mixed with Amsoil Dominator at 42/1 (16oz per gallon) (A "ring wear text" showed me that the extra oil gave me better ring wear than 50/1, and the extra oil makes my carb settings slightly leaner.)

My 2006 came with the MotoTasarini V-Force reed block and reeds. (first year for them)

Regarding the RB Designs:
I asked Ron to do the mod to increase my mileage on my 2006 DE300.
After the first ride in the mountains, I came home and added a 10oz flywheel weight. The change in throttle response had the rear end of the bike coming around even with the front in rocky off-camber turns, and sometimes flat sandy turns.
My mileage from a tank of fuel went from around 40 miles to around 65-70 miles. Some came from a more efficient fuel burn, and some of it came from making more power at lower throttle settings, and some from me being more careful with the throttle.
I am happy with the extra mileage, and the extra snap makes me grin.

Good Riding and Wrenching to You!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Last edited by Jim Cook; 04-17-2018 at 08:59 AM.