View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Hi, decided to tear into the forks on my 2012 300. I got as far as taking the cartridge out and seperating the inner and outer fork tubes (needs seals, going to look into yamaha seals, i assume the 2006-2012 yz250/450 48mm seals should fit). Only about 260cc of oil came out...very very contaminated, was all silver looking with metal contamination. Bushings looked fine though.

Anyways, backing the pfp knob out i actually cracked open the cartridge and was able to unthread the cap but the whole pfp assembly only comes out some of the way depending on where I move the damper rod and no oil comes out even though i can see the pfp spring and such. I only what to take apart enough to change the inner oil, dont really wanna tear into valving or anything else. Can someone tell what to do to get the inner cartridge oil out. I saw a few people write up how to fill/purge the cartridge but no real explanation on how to remove the oil, just dont want to disassemble more than I have too. I still have to figure out how to make a tool to retighten the cartridge cap as I know I shouldnt be using the pfp knob to do it like how it came appart. Thanks!
Awkkk! Careful with that PFP adjuster, as in, stop before you start unthreading the cartridge cap Oops, you've already done that. Best course now is to get a KYB cartridge cap removal tool and relieve it for the PFP adjuster.

There is a lot of vacuum on the compression piston - you'll have to wiggle it and pull hard but it should pop right out and, if you're not careful, dump a bunch of oil everywhere.

When everything in apart stroke the legs to encourage any residual oil to exit. Stock refill is 310cc in the outer legs and 210cc in the cartridges.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters