View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 11:25 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3 View Post
I'm not overly hopeful with the solenoid.For peace of mind I bypassed the relay again & this time got the same fail result as in the video-clunk/buzz/clunk. I think the starter system is a series of failing & mis-aligning parts. As you fix one, it stresses another.
I like your phrase "mis-aligning".

While I understand that different people have found success with other fixes - cable upgrade, bigger battery, loose connections, bendix cover, pinion gear welded, frozen bearings, etc. - some of us have done all those things and still have problems.

It seems to me that something must be binding and mis-aligning in the starter case. I have wondered if tolerances on the early units were off, and the shaft bores don't quite line up, or are too tight or too loose.

Either that, or some engines are just harder to turn over for some internal reason! Do we just have tighter engines, maybe with higher compression?

It's interesting that starting problems are rare with the 2019s. I understand that they changed the battery and ignition system - that solves the "crank but no spark" issue. Does anyone know if anything in the starter case changed? (I think not...but then why do the 2019s turn over better?)

Has anyone swapped a 2019 starter case onto a hard-starting 2018 to see if there is any difference?

I like this bike so much that I continue to believe it can be made to e-start somehow

Jeff