View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I think that the backing of the idle screw down or higher idle means you were closer to where you needed to be. The 38 pilot was possibly too lean and you may find better results with the 40. I think JD actually recommends 40 JD RED#4 170 as the starting position for a 36mm in a gasser too. It could very well be where you want to be.
I was thinking that. I set up the idle as per your method with the carb out. With the blue needle no matter what pilot I had to lift the slide with the idle screw by about 1.5-2 turns in.

It idles as good if not better then it did with the blue needle and idle screw set in the preferred range so with a 40 pilot should be right where I want it.

I'll try those settings, but will leave the main as is for now.

Thats going to change very soon anyway, my mate wants his old carb back. He says the oval bore is too powerful Said it has improved power in his bike everywhere, but especially his top end and it is just plain scary now

I'm happy with the tests I've done on the head by now anyway so be interesting to see how the carb improves things