Thread: GasGas 50SM Q:
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 09:24 PM

I believe that Rising Sun has 70cc kits for the 50's. If it's the same as the EC50 boy, it's based on the trials mini TXT50 boy. The pre-05 EC/SM 50's ARE the trials bike with a subframe welded on.

Give them a call and see if they can help you. If I remember right, they said the 70 kit made the 50 into a cool toy for fat old men.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the motor is a Minerelli design, the bottom end is Minerelli and the top end is designed by Gas Gas, but cast in Italy by a sub-contractor.

The Gas Gas 50's are REALLY an exotic European bike if there ever was one. From my experience with the pre-05 50's, their biggest weakness is an undersized radiator and poorly located fender that impedes airflow through the microscopic radiator. In 05 they started making special motors for the EC/MX 50, eventually ditching the water cooled engine for an air cooled one.

Jim Snell at Rising Sun has all kinds of hop up tricks for the TXT/EC 50 boy minis.

Hope this helps.

I feel like I should add a disclaimer that this is mostly heresay that I have pieced together since I bought my son a brand new 2003 EC50.