View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Default Needles... what's the difference and where to buy?

Hi guys me again...

My bike was starting to run a bit "iffy" I am no expert but I have some good solid friends around me who guide my hand.

After a bit of research I decided to drop my pilot jet from a 45 to a 40.

After fitting it. The bike started to splutter terribly at about 1/4 throttle and struggled to pull into the band.

I swapped the jet back to the 45. Put the carb back on. Bike was running like a 3 legged dog.

I called for back up. Cleaned the carb put the standard jets in. She still ran like a Bitch.

So I moved on to the stator. It was fried. 5 jet Black loose coils one had split completely.

Ordered a new stator fitted that. Bike still ran like a 3 legged dog. Aaaarrrg

Took the carb apart again. Checked the float hight.... Then, at 11pm my buddy checked the needle. It was in firmly. Very firmly.

The top adjuster had bent and was wedged against the clip holding it in. Appx 5 10mm too high!!

No wonder it was over fuelling like a pig.

So after further research and a lot of reading on here. I find there are so many different needs out there? I believe mine is an n1ef but what is the difference?

Am I best off sticking to the standard needle on clip 3 and adjusting the jet according to the weather?

Any suggestions on the best needle for 48' running a 38 idle a 178 main sportsman/ novice rider on a gas gas ec 250

Also where do you buy them from? (I'm in the uk)

@Ktmandy