View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Honestly, first service, there was some crud in the oil. Second same. I'm dreading my third oil change at 135ish hours. I wonder if it is even worth picking up a set of bushings. Regardless, I'm going to ride them totally into the ground but it would be nice to know there is a nifty backup.

I'm very curious about your thoughts regarding the change in trail. I love the bike's slow speed handling, but if it was a little more stable at speed without knifing excessively in gnar I'd be thrilled.
By crud you mean.. Sludge, alloy, dark oil? Its normal for the oil to break down and smell bad. Bit of sludge in the bottom isn't unheard of either. It was the alloy from the spring seat which I attribute to eating mine alive.

Honestly, the trail is a concern. While the theory dictates that a smaller offset (more trail) is more stable, the real world testing usually shows the bike to be better in the slow speed and tip in, but perhaps a little too active as the speed increases. Mostly knifing/over willing to continue turning when you want it to stand up. Think big drifts and how a well balanced bike will just settle and slide. Not enough trail and the bike will run wide, too much and it wants to tuck in. It also effects the weight on the front tyre and considering that I don't find the Gasser the kind of bike I really have to scoot right up the tank on often, it may be too much. Time will tell, and if its no good then I'm a bit shot for options. Stock Yamaha clamps for this fork are also 22mm offset same as the Gas Gas ones. I could go an earlier model and shim the upper clamps (or the e-axle).

I like the stock geometry of the Gas Gas, I think the 2012+ feels a bit more stable than the 2010. I never had issues with the 2010, so hoping I'll end up somewhere inbetween the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Jake have you not revalved those S3 s yet? What the blue blazers is going on man?
I was hoping you'd put the leg work in on this one Yours are ready for testing.. Mine not so much.