View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM

I have been running trials tires for years and love them.
I had planned on running a trials tire with a Tubliss but by the time I got around to mounting the Tubliss winter and the wet season was almost upon me so I mounted a cheap knobby with it instead. I like this combo for the conditions which I ride the most: steep, somewhat rocky, good dirt with some clay and lots and lots of leaves. Trials tires (or any knobby with close knobs) are at a disadvantage on wet clay or deep leaves. When the clay dries up in the summer and the leaves are gone from the hill climbs I may switch back to the trials tire but maybe not. The knobby doesn't do nearly as well on worn in trails but is a lot more predictable in faster turns. The extra grip and flexibility of the trials tire can be mimicked somewhat with a knobby by running very low pressure and the Tubliss allows you to do that safely. I've run 2-6 pounds of air in my knobby ever since I mounted it with my Tubliss six months ago and I average riding 4-5 hours a week. Not one pinch flat in that time and pinch flats were a major problem for me before the Tubliss. I ran 8-11 pounds of pressure in heavy duty tubes before.