View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 AM

If you want trials tire like traction with a knobby try the Metzeler Unicross with the Tubliss. The Metz Unicross sidewalls are much softer than most knobby tires giving it a lot more flexibility to adhere to different surfaces. I have run at various pressures.

I have run trials tires for 9 years on my 01 GasGas XC300 and for 3 years on my 06 EC300, including the Michelin, Dunlop, IRC & Mitas radial trials tires. The Mitas was all around the best performer for me.

I have ridden the Metzeler/Tubliss for 1387 miles over 2+ years on my 06 EC300. I ran pressure down as low as 4 psi. I found 6 psi to be the sweet spot for traction and higher speed control. For comparison, I had the Mitas ET-01 trials tire on my 01 XC300 normally at 6.5 psi with a HD tube.

The most difficult conditions where I ride are mostly greasy, wet clay and occasional snow/ice. In same day, same location, back to back comparison riding between my 2 GasGas 300's. One with a Mitas trials tire and one with the Unicross this is what I found: On the greasy clay the Metzeler/Tubliss at 5-6 psi is very comparable to the Mitas at 6.5 psi. On glare ice, they both have difficulty hooking up. In deeper snow, the Metzeler has a clear advantage. In loose rock the Metzeler has a clear advantage. It pulls harder and straighter. On solid, exposed rock the Mitas had a slight advantage. In sand the Mitas has an advantage. Cornering clearly goes to the Metzeler. It is more stable and predictable in hard, leaned over cornering.