View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well I found some time to pull the clutch down again in the weekend.

Ok reassess the situation.

Hmm, clutch plates when hooked out of basket seem pretty stuck to each other. Maybe this isn’t fair, the oil was cold & it’s the middle of winter here so not that warm, maybe 10 deg C in the garage (dunno what that is in Fahrenheit, maybe about 400, oh all right [googles it] 50 then, what sort of silly system doesn’t zero at freezing, ok well apart from Kelvin, but that’s different).

Anyhoo. Well maybe the steels are a bit sharp. Usually they get pressed out & one side is sharper than the other. But with wear perhaps this has gotten worse? Cue 30 min with small dremel stone followed up with wire wheel. Now sharp edges taken off the inside fingers & outer circumference edge.

I checked basket & there is a little play, but pushing it every direction & spinning the inner I couldn’t get the two to rub so that’s not it.

I’ve decided while I’m here to rattle off the basket nut & polish the inner basket slots. There are tiny marks on it that maybe the sharp steels were picking up on as they were pretty sharp. With the edges removed it shouldn’t be a problem, but I don’t want to take any chances as motivation to strip it a 3rd time is less than a bit of polishing now.

I’ll check the springs for equal tension & pressure plate for warp, then I’ll put it back together & weather willing test it this weekend.