View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
I really do not believe it to be a bad starter system, everything mechanical can obviously have faults and poorly designed or assembled components, but I think the issue here with a lot of people is that they are blindly throwing parts and money by the way to a problem without actually diagnosing what is wrong. I truly think that all the solutions to each and every starting issue can be found in these threads. It just takes a logical systematic approach to sort it out. Saying this there obviously is not enough competent mechanics at dealers who can help out in this regard which may be more of a failing than the starter motors. Perhaps I should do a list of the common things that go wrong and the associated fixed in a order based list so people can check them out?
Really it is not a complicated system and has been around since 2015 and I myself seeing many bikes with 2-300 hours on original components. Nocams here has a billion hours on his 2018 already...
I'm sure there's some truth to the but I'll give a short history of his problems.

2nd day he owned it it wouldn't start with the E-start. Dealer sent him a re-flashed ECU and a new battery. I worked for about 3 weeks and started making horrible noises. The small cover was excessively worn oblong which ruined the flywheel ring gear, the small gear and overheated the starter. Dealer sold him a starter, a small cover, the small gear that drives the flywheel, the small bearings, and gaskets. It then cranked over fast but had no spark while cranking but would immediately start with the kick starter. Dealer sent him a 2019 ECU and he bought a new wiring harness. Bike ran terrible with the 2019 ECU but started for 2 days with the new harness and the old ECU. after 2 days the bolt backed out of the small helical gear and locked up the starter and overheated it. He tightened the bolt and replaced the stater with a new one. It started for one week and the bolt backed out again. He tightened the bolt with lock tight again and it sometimes starts. He bought the bike new at the end of October 2018 and it's started properly for a sum total of about 3 weeks.

I get that there's a lot of bikes out there with no problems but I read through the multiple posts on this thread and he has had nearly every problem that everyone else has had. It might be because when it won't start the owners cranks longer trying to get it to start or trying to diagnose the problem and that taxes all the wear items and they fail quickly. In other words if the starter started the bike you wouldn't wear out the starter once a week.