Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default Confirming a dead stator?

This is the 2K-2 on my 97'
Impulse coil: red/green 104 ohms manual says 100 +/- 20%
Exciter: black/red - red/white no reading manual says 12.7 +/- 20%

I'm not electrical saavy, so my guess is it need replacing?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 AM

The exciter coil is the important one. If it shows an "open circuit", then it's time to rewind that coil or replace the stator.
You could pull the exciter wires apart to see it there's a break that you can fix (the actual winding might be OK).
Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 AM

If any of the coils are open I'd just bring it to a local motor rewind shop. They deal with issues a lot more complex than our little stators. They'll fix you up for wayyyy cheaper than a new one and it'll likely only be a couple days.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
If any of the coils are open I'd just bring it to a local motor rewind shop. They deal with issues a lot more complex than our little stators. They'll fix you up for wayyyy cheaper than a new one and it'll likely only be a couple days.
I picked up a used one from 200KTM part out. Came with the ignition coil also, for $79 figured it was worth a shot?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Banned

Bingo, yep dead stator. And a KTM 2K-2 ignition is a direct fit(besides the plate). New/used stator came in and it tested positive.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM

From the measurements you reported looks like the exciter coil is open.

I have a KTM 200 MXC that I was just looking at it's 2K2 stator and flywheel, it looks like the flywheel is too big to fit inside the stator cover on my '01 EC250 which I was comparing it too. I would think that the spark timing would be a concern also. If you did not get the flywheel with the ktm stator, I think the Gas Gas flywheel will not fit over the ktm stator, looks like it is too small.

Please let us know how you make out as you try to make the ktm stator work.
Greg
Old 10-30-2013, 03:31 PM

Oh sorry did not refresh on the page before I posted. So were you able to just bolt the ktm stator to the GG plate and make it work? Seems like the GG flywheel should fit if the stator is the same!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorythomas View Post
Oh sorry did not refresh on the page before I posted. So were you able to just bolt the ktm stator to the GG plate and make it work? Seems like the GG flywheel should fit if the stator is the same!
Sorry didn't get back to you on your question just saw it today. I had to bolt the KTM stator to the GasGas plate. The wiring is run from the opposite side on the KTM stator. I just had to heat it up a bit to get it to form around the other way. I had to cut the wires on both stators to remove them from the plates, but a little soldering action and heat shrink tubing it was good to go.

I also thought the timing might be an issue, but figured I would deal with it if it was. But as luck turned out(which mostly never happens) the bike fired right up and even seems to run better now. Feels like there is more power??