Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 AM

Default Fixed kickstand foot

Got tired of the kick stand sinking in the soft dirt that is common around Southern Ontario

Had a buddy tig weld a foot onto the stand:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG KS.jpg (33.2 KB, 68 views)

Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Enduro Enginneering has a bolt on pad that works good for $9
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
Enduro Enginneering has a bolt on pad that works good for $9
Except they want $15.50 to ship it haha. I was ready to order one when I first got my bike, until I saw that, seems excessive to me. The previous owner even already tapped the stand but he kept the pad for his new GG.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yea I do much better on price ordering thru my dealer intsead of EE
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
Yea I do much better on price ordering thru my dealer intsead of EE
I'll have to see if anybody local can get it. I am so used to just ordering stuff because my local shops kind of stink I didn't even think of it haha.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 AM

My fix was free, took only 10 minutes & I don't have to worry about it coming loose & falling off.............
Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Well to nit pick, tig wire isn't free and neither is aluminum stock, so it's wasn't totally free...I know I know. I couldn't help myself, sorry.

The benefit of the bolt-on pad is if you bend or break your stand you can swap it to the new one (I agree that is rare). Or like the guy who used to own my bike, swap it to your new bike if you stay with GG. I am not bashing your fix, if I had access to tig I would probably do it because it is a pain to find a place firm enough to support the bike as is. I am just justifying the cost of the bolt-on pad to myself haha.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Well to nit pick, tig wire isn't free and neither is aluminum stock, so it's wasn't totally free...I know I know. I couldn't help myself, sorry.

The benefit of the bolt-on pad is if you bend or break your stand you can swap it to the new one (I agree that is rare). Or like the guy who used to own my bike, swap it to your new bike if you stay with GG. I am not bashing your fix, if I had access to tig I would probably do it because it is a pain to find a place firm enough to support the bike as is. I am just justifying the cost of the bolt-on pad to myself haha.
Just one of the little things GasGas could really fix which would not cost them much and just make the bike better. Another is a better bolt method for the kickstand. The original bolt bent, got a 12.9 bolt and it snapped, put in another one, and it snapped, now I have a 8.8 class bolt back in it. Very poor design.

I was riding with a guy on a Beta and at a rest point he got off and went to tighten his kickstand bolt, I said "you too"...LOL
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM

IMO the bolt could be a couple mm bigger in diameter. I had a similar problem with one of the Huskies I used to own & changed it to a hardened shoulder bolt, which solved part of the problem.

Unfortunately, the GG doesn't have enough meat at the top of the stand to machine a bigger dia bolt hole. On my gg I use lots of red loctite and tighten the bolt just so it holds the stand down when the weight is off it. It serves 2 purposes; the bolt stays put and kiboshes the auto retract(which I'm not a fan of..........)

In all, it's a minor detail on a great bike.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 AM

I called Smith's Powersports in Imperial Pa (the closest Gas Gas dealer I know of) and he has the EE pads in stock for $15. Still saves me $10 compared to shipping. I never thought to check for something like that at a dealer, I'm an airhead sometimes haha. Once my arm heals, surgery tomorrow, I'm going to grab one.