Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Default buying info

Hi i feel its time soon to get a newer bike my old girl is a 2003(nothing wrong with it) and the thought of buying a update kit and powder coating etc and getting talon hub and exel rim its going to cost a fare amount.

what i was thinking is a ec300 years from 09,10,11,12 i don't know much about the sachs suspension units and what there like compared to the mozzys and ohlins
i personally like the 12 but maybe out my price range for now.
whats peoples thoughts on these years of bikes

cheers grant

Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 AM

it all depends on you really and why you feel your bike is old and not new enough.

re-valve your rear shock, put in new front fork seals & new oil and basically your 'old' forks will be as good as new!!
your suspension is now sorted for maybe ?150.

Apart from the newer models having V Force reeds everything else is basically the same engine,why not have an engine rebuild and get a port job done on it and get the squish band done,in my opinion this again will be a new engine ?600-700

Get yourself a new set of plastics and instantly the bike looks newer.

I'd say spend a grand on yours, fresh engine with a tune,suspension overhaul,and new plastics,it will be like new but without having to spend 4k + on a 'newer' bike that isn't new anymore.

thats only my opinion though others may advise you to buy the latest greatest model.

good luck
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM

I constantly struggle with this, I have wanted a new bike this year and keep asking myself "what's wrong with the one I'm riding?" Except for the fact that its not the latest and greatest? What does latest and greatest mean? I've seen new models take a step backward for example the Honda 450r. When they changed it from I believe 08 to 09 people hated the frame changes and said it didn't handle the same. I just dropped about 1500 on new s3 250 top end new plastic and a smart carb. My bike is dialed the way I like it so what's saying the 12 or 13 is too my liking? It doesn't and that is why I'm riding it for another season. Don't get me wrong there is nothing like a new bike and I think some will take far more abuse than others and need a new one but it all comes down to the individual and is a question that everyone will have a different answer too.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM

i say, as tempting as it seems (to me too sometimes), stick with the "old" one.
get it freshened up and enjoy trashing it again
you don't want to be worried about scratching your newer bike,do you?
a new bike , it's fancy and it makes you feel good (for a moment),until you see the "old" one again, standing in a corner... and realizing that you actually didn't have to spend that much money on a newer bike...

just my thoughts...
my own bike is even an '01! a 200 but i made some changes to make it run like i wanted it.
now some supsnsion work needs to be done and i'll be totally happy and not worrying when i drop it

good luck with whatever descicion you make, aslong as yo stick with the gasser family ;-)

ciao, Hannes.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM

thanks for the input there guys.

i think the bike is a cracker and age does not worry me, like the old retro bikes at the mo like my old cr lol

the only thing putting me of is the it needs a new triple clamp as there is a twist, either bad machining or its been down the road pretty hard.
(had my eye on the BRP one looks smart), the bike feels a bit pissed as a result

its at that point of its life where its in need of a fresh up, the frame could do with it as well, the engine is pretty fresh. bigs mains only done about 6 months and has not had much riding time

really looking at it as i cant ride as much as i would love to (everyday) its proberly worth freshing up the old girl

thanks grant
Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM

hanns i would rather die that buy a ktm, im sure my dogs butt make em lol
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM

check out project el diablo, it was a tired old knackered 98 but with a bit of cash thown at it it's like a new bike of course its got old skool forks, but at least i know they are better than tired knackered usd ones.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage sausage View Post
check out project el diablo, it was a tired old knackered 98 but with a bit of cash thown at it it's like a new bike of course its got old skool forks, but at least i know they are better than tired knackered usd ones.
She looks dam fine the my friend, well done on that, my mate has one the same age and won't put money in to it. Shame really

Well going to still use my one for now and just gather the bits and money and blast it out

Cheers grant
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM

While I would love to buy a "new(er, ish)" bike, and maybe I will...I still like my "old" bikes, and see no reason part with them. I'd like to have a shiny new toy to unload & ride at least once It's on my wish list, anyway.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
While I would love to buy a "new(er, ish)" bike, and maybe I will...I still like my "old" bikes, and see no reason part with them. I'd like to have a shiny new toy to unload & ride at least once It's on my wish list, anyway.
did once back in my army days got a 2000 kx250 tax free. loved it but got stolen when i was in iraq, was gutted about that

hope the bar steward hurt him self on it lol