Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 AM

Default flapper ?

How much should the flapper move,open & close when the PV arm is moved to full open?Mine flapper only moves 1/4 inch or so,is this normal?Also how does the arm come off?I removed the locknut off the rod marked # 4 but it wont move.Sorry for all the newbe questions,I have never been in a engine before,usally just take it to a shop,but its time to learn.Thanks in advance for any help.P.S. its an 03 300.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Site Sponsor

when the pv rod is attached, the pv shouldn't move much at all, there is a bit of slop normally... if you pull on the pv rod vertically it can/will dislodge the governor assembly. when assembled properly, the rod should keep very minor tension on the pv, and the pv end plate will be against the stop

that being said:

carefully unscrew the nylock that holds the pv rod to the pv valve plate. then you can gently but firmly pull the pv rod back enough to rotote the pv plate out of the way. i use a spring puller.. try not to pull the pv rod vertically. this is what messes them up...

once the rod is unattached the pv should move freely/easily. if it doesn't it's time for a rebuild.

if you want to check pv actuation: remove exhaust, remove right pv cover, put the exhaust back on, and start it up. you will see the pv assembly move as you rev it. it should move maybe 90 degree (i think - can't remember - either way you will see it clearly open and close) then you gotta take the exhaust back off, reinstall the right cover, put the exhaust back on and you should be good to go.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the reply.Update:I was wondering why the bolt was so loose on the pv plate,I removed the pv arm,removed the pv plate to find the weld had broken on the backside allowing the arm bolt to jiggle around.What bearings can be dislodged?The only bearings I can see are the ones behind the pv plate.Thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

This has happened to a few bikes now. you can get it tacked back on if you know what you're doing or buy another as you have stated in your other thread.

The ball bearings you can dislodge are located in the governer. Its what drives the actuartor arm that connects to the plate. If you manage to do this you need to remove the primary drive cover (engine rhs) to gain access to it, which is why people have suggested its much easier to just not disloge the balls
Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 AM

This is what the governor's balls look like. (No, I'm not trying to start a political thread.)

My actuator plate broke when I took my PV apart. Evidently the trick to avoid that is to heat the nylock nut a little before disassembly. Sounds like yours was already broken, but maybe a previous service weakened it. Anyway, I got a new one so my welding buddy could take his time fixing my spare.