Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Snow Mobile Trips

We are looking at going to States or Canada next year for a trip on snow mobiles.
Anyone know of any organized tours or hire places they can recommend.

Also how hard are these things to ride, we all have dirt bike experience. Can you reasonable transform dirtbike skills or is it a new ballpark ?

Cheers

Kim

05 Pampera 250

Old 05-21-2007, 06:18 AM

What part of this massive expanse of north america do you want to come to? If you are looking for deep snow and steep mountains (and are physically fit) I recommend going to Whistler BC Canada (site of 2010 Olympics).
Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Snowmobiles ride similar to an ATV and traction depends heavily on the snow conditions. You'll take pretty quick coming from a dirt bike.

I'd recommend Ruttgers Resort near Grand Rapids Minnesota. It's beautiful up there in the winter and they have guided tours. The snow might be better in Michigan or Ontario, but you can't beat Minnesotan passion for the snowmobile - Arctic Cat and Polaris do call Minnesota home after all.

http://www.sugarlakelodge.com/activi...all_winter.htm
Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm guessing you're going to want to come to the mountains for a snowmobile trip. Take a look at the Kootenay region in British Columbia, Canada. There are tons of companies offering snowmobile tours up here and the conditions are world class! Also, the kootenays are a little cheaper than Whistler. In my opinion Whistler is way too expensive for what you get. We also get better snow out here.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 PM

I screw around with a sled some in NH. Both NH and maine have pretty good sledding. Not sure what the exchange rate is between NZ and USA or NZ and Canada but I bet you get a bit more for your dollar in Canada. Quebec has some of the best trail riding anywhere. Otherwise you want to head west and go for the powder. Northern Michigan is suppose to have some great powder riding. The Northern Rockies in the US also has some great powder and mt. riding. Do search for West Yellowstone, That is a bit of a snowmobile mecca plus you can check out Yellowstone national park in the winter. Look into wyoming and Montana too. Here is a little tip... It can get down right, you can die in 5 minutes cold, in some of these areas so you gotta play the season just right. Sledding is no fun when it's forty below zero. Revelstoke in canada is worth doing a search for too.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM

Revelstoke and Golden are two snowmobiling meccas in BC.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 PM

Talking

Been looking at Revelstoke in BC.
Thanks for all the info. I have never been on a snowmobile but it looks like fun.
Looks like we better book the hardest trip available as all the guys are pretty fit (for their age) and keen as.
In October we are off the ride in Atlas Mt and Sahara in Africa (on some KTM 450 EXC thru a hire co on a 9 day tour) so it will be some contrast.

Cheers
Kim
05 Pampera 250