Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Default 2006 EC 300.........Opinions Wanted.

Hi Gang,

First post here. Wanted to get some input.

I am looking at a 2006 EC 300.

Here is the situation. I have a 2013 Orange bike that I like very much. I will be putting it away for the winter very soon. I will be tearing it down, and going through everything.

While that is happening, I will be putting studs on my KDX for use during the winter. (I rode a fair amount last winter on the KDX....loved it!) Anyway, I took the KDX out last Sunday just to start to get her ready. It is a great bike, but I just don't like the way she handles. Never really have. Probably more about the rider than the bike, but after riding the Orange bike all summer, I really feel the decrease in handling. I sent the suspension to Fredette two years ago which made it better, but I still don't like it. Great engine.........don't like the handling. (I could do the fork conversion thing, but that aint cheap either and I hear it still is not the best.)

So anyway, I found a 2006 EC 300 for 2500. It has a Scotts Damper, Ohlins shock and Zokes that have been tuned by WER for a 170lb rider. (I am 160, so I am pretty close.) Bike has been gone through pretty well from what I understand. Owned by a long standing member of a local club.

So what say you? Does it go without saying that the handling will be a night and day improvement over the KDX? Im sure many of you have ridden both. Thoughts? Anything I should be looking out for? Seems like a fair price to me.....do you agree?

Thanks very much for any feedback!

David

Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM

I rode KX250s for years and they, IMHO, are a good bike. But, NOTHING turns like a Gasser, period. The WER revalve should make a HUGE difference. Drew at WER did my 2011 EC 300 and its really great.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM

My last bike was a 2003 KDX200. I now have the 2010 GG EC250. I loved the KDX but the GasGas is worlds ahead in handling. And it's a lot faster but the suspension/handling is what I really love about my EC250. Of course my bike has been reworked by LRT and my KDX was stock other than a fork oil change, so I guess it's not a fair comparison.

My KDX:

My EC250:
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Night and day

Got back into riding about 8 years ago (woods) Tried a few different bikes Xr250
ktm 380 kdx200 kx250 kdx250 Never got along with the kdxs too well Kx was nice but it was still an mx engine and was not a happy chugger
Bought an 01 gasser 300 and it was the best bike I ever rode in the woods
I've owned a few different years and models since Still own the 01
For me and I'm no expert I didn't notice an appreciable difference in handling between years except for my new to me 09 seems easier to ride tighter sections standing up than my 01
I would take the gasser anyday over anything else I've ridden But for me especially over a kdx which I never got along with. As for value?? if the bikes in decent shape and has some goodies I think fair is fair. Also these engines are about bulletproof so that adds value in my opinion
And you get to participate in a great = not much BS forum
Good luck and let us know how it works out
Stoby
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Stoby, I grew up in Wrentham.

I now live in North Andover.

Were you at the KP Turkey Run two weeks ago?

I saw a blue GasGas at the halfway point rest area.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default yup

Was there
Didnt see a blue one. My 09 is red I had that there, my 01 is blue,but it wasnt there My buddies is red+black he was there. I saw an 11 nambotin there and fury1s updated bike that looks like a nambotin kinda red white and blue. I grew up in Franklin used to ride in the pit near lake pearl thats now a subdivision
Old 11-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoby View Post
Was there
Didnt see a blue one. My 09 is red I had that there, my 01 is blue,but it wasnt there My buddies is red+black he was there. I saw an 11 nambotin there and fury1s updated bike that looks like a nambotin kinda red white and blue. I grew up in Franklin used to ride in the pit near lake pearl thats now a subdivision
Wow...........too funny.

I used to ride in that pit too.

Long time ago at this point.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 PM

you must be talking about steves bike? he hasn't used it much in the last few years I think. its clean and worth the money,like stoby said,there is no comparison to a kdx,i had the exact model and loved the bike,i own three of them right now and its tough to figure out which one to sell..lol
Old 11-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have a 2011 GG EC300. I had a really good deal on a KDX220 fall in my lap. Couldn't resist it as I've heard how good they were over the years. Thought maybe it would be good spare bike or whatever. I couldn't come to grips with the dated feel and the poor handling compared to any modern bike let alone that my Gasser turns like it has power steering. I sold the KDX.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM

I bought a new KDX200 in 1996 and rode it till 2005 when I bought a new 2004 ECDE200 and no comparison on suspension and handling, now my suspension on the kdx was stock but i never could justify spending any money on trying to make it better because the conventional forks under hang always caused me trouble especially in ruts or certain turns but i've always gone faster on the gasser cause the suspension.