Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 AM

Question How does the MT43 perform?

Has anyone run the MT43? How does it work compared to other trials tires? How does it work compared to the MT16?

I read that the MT43 is noticeably larger in diameter than the other trials tires. What is the diameter/circumference of the MT43? Did the larger size affect the performance/handling?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Well if you can bring yourself to browse the KTM Talk tire and wheel forum you will find plenty of info...and I mean plenty. Overall concensus is it's an excellent tire. It's beefy, has strong sidewalls, doesn't squirm at low pressures and I've seen no mention of chunking or knobs tearing. It's also about the heaviest trials tire out there but seems to be THE trials tire of choice for the TuBliss system because of it's strong sidewalls. I would not say it's really any bigger than other trials tires. It looks big off the rim but once mounted up it seems smaller than you would have thought.

Speaking of the MT16 and Tubliss, I used this setup recently at a Rhode Island rock ride. 7.5psi in the MT16 which had been re-cut with the Knobby Knife tool. It worked awesome I must say and I never even really thought about it all day. No funny business at that low pressure on road sections either. Now I want to try the TuBliss setup in an MT43. I also ran True Goo tire sealant f/b.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'm running the MT43. I'm a C rider that does turkey runs and ride rocky areas in NE. I can say that I am very pleased with it, but I can't tell you how it performs in relation to other tires (see DirtRider.com they did a comparison). The tire hooks up well everywhere, even in mud if you are on the throttle. On my last ride I found out that it is useless when braking on a muddy/slick surface. (same ride that Skidad was on but he didn't come over to say hello lol)

It does have a larger diameter than my Maxxis IT that went off, but the bike has handled great.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Thats the only trials tire I havn't tried, but I hear form those that did its similar to the Mitas (heavier sidewalls). No trials tire will offer braking control like a knobby in mud especially on downhills. I did a race in PA this weekend, and switched to an S12 due to the grass track and relatively good traction from past experience. Well, after a hard rain at night, shortened grass track, and a late number (chewed up trail), I would have been better off running the trials tire. I have so much more time on them a knobby just feels alien to me now in anything but sand.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 AM

It's a good compromise for an enduro bike. It is not a true competition trials so has stiffer sidewalls and harder compound which makes it about perfect for a heavier bike. The pure competition trials tyres will grip better but will tear and pinch flat very easily. They also weave at anything above 30 mph at off road pressures. So as a trials tyre for an enduro bike MT43 is great. Obviously they lack grip in flat turns compared to knobblies and require a gentle style in slippery stuff.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:53 AM

I'm thinking of trying either the MT 43 or the Dunlop 803. There are other variables like which tube or tubliss set up to use with which tire. I've been reading the KTM forum as suggested and it sounds like they would both work well, it's just deciding on the stiffer sidewall of the MT 43 or the true trials grip of the 803.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM

the dunlop is much softer than the pirelli,go with the cheaper of the two and ride it and make your own conclusion,they wirk in alot of spots,but i found they do give up a bit on high speed trails,due to the fact braking is very tough especially downhills,they werent designed to ride at high speeds.

id personally run a bib instead of a tubliss if given a choice,if seen the tubliss gash the front wheel and although it made it back to the start for a rim swap,a bib wouldnt have gashed the wheel,he also gashed the front wheel later on,he got rid of the tubliss system and went back to H/D tubes
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My MT43 Experiance

I jump back and fourth between an MT16 and a trials tire depending on conditions..

Last year a dunlop 803 with a bib. Worked great at climbing slick stuff. As long as there was something to grab, root rock ect it would climb with no wheel spin.

This year I tried and mt 43 with a bib. I tried it a few times, its last ride was yesterday. The tire sidewall is just to stiff for the monster size bib you must run. I got stuck on more hills yesterday than I have in the past 4 years. I would have had much better luck with dunlop 803 for sure, or a mt16

ED
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM

After looking into the MT43, it appears its not a radial, but a "reinforced bias ply", and has a harder compound by design. No wonder it seems stiff to those who are used to real trials tires and doesn't work as well, why bother. Seems more like a '70s vintage dual sport tire.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
After looking into the MT43, it appears its not a radial, but a "reinforced bias ply", and has a harder compound by design. No wonder it seems stiff to those who are used to real trials tires and doesn't work as well, why bother. Seems more like a '70s vintage dual sport tire.
Why bother? Because it works well on enduro bikes. What you lose on ultimate grip you gain on stability and resilience.