Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Sidestand spring flings

I’ve been rebuilding a 2001 XC300 and I’ve run into some snags.
I just got a new side stand spring and installed it based on the microfish images and the thing is a joke, in fact the whole sidestand GasGas design in a joke. The angle on the stand is a bit odd, but the big issue is the new spring works well as long as the stand is up, but if I attempt to put it down the spring flies off. I could be doing something wrong, but based on the fish images it looks like I have it on correctly. Needless to say the new spring has bent and lost it’s integrity, so I assume it weaker now and will continue to bend. Is anyone using the sidestand with or without the spring? Bottom line, I’m use to the quality of the KTM sidestands and this just can’t compare. In fact the Husqvarna stand is even better and my TE570 would fall if the wind blew hard. Overall I wish the thing was better, because I was hoping to use it. Let me know if you all are having any luck with or without springs. Looks like my option is use it without the spring or remove it.

Thanks for the help and I’m new to GG’s, I got the bike in Nov. and have yet to ride it beyond the driveway. Took it down to the fame the first night I had it and am just now beginning to put it all back together and I can wait to ride it.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

The biggest problem most people have with the stands is the "self-retracting" action they have from the factory. This is fixed with a little mod using an old chain link plate, however this doesn't seem to be your issue.

Look closely at what is causing the spring to come off. Must be something bent or broken somewhere, or you have the spring on upside down.

The stands are minimalist to be generous. The newer post-2005 stands are alloy and much nicer, although still not streetbike standard by any means.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:16 AM

I would say that the spring is mounted wrong.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Just checked out the photos of the master link fix for the sidestand and I think that will work. From the photos I can tell that the spring attachment point on my stand is not stock and was re-wielded from what was remaining of the original spring mounting loop. Looks like the wield itself is causing the spring to bend and fly off.

Thanks for all the input and the master like looks like the trick.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:40 AM

No joke, there is a law in Spain that mandates that mfgr's must have their kickstand's auto-retract, so we all get to suffer.

Just like Jeff will always tell you that his best friend is 'the' Les at LTR, I'll never miss a chance to say that my brother invented and posted on the GG websites the now famous master link kickstand mod.

Never ceases to amaze me how much mileage I'm getting out of this interesting tidbit of fact...

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 AM

Can someone post a link to this mod? I have searched, but can only find threads that talk about it.

My sidestand flicked up earlier and smashed the side panel
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM

I don't know where the link is, but it's a very simple mod. They call it the "master link" fix because they drill out a side plate from a master link and stick it on the upper bolt that holds the sidestand bracket. Master links are hard to drill. You have to knock the heat treating out by heating cherry red with a torch before you try drilling. After you get that plate mounted just hook the end of the spring in the remaining hole. This moves the anchor point in front of the pivot and the spring tension holds the in both down and up positions.

I'll run and snap a pic for you...

'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
I don't know where the link is, but it's a very simple mod. They call it the "master link" fix because they drill out a side plate from a master link and stick it on the upper bolt that holds the sidestand bracket. Master links are hard to drill. You have to knock the heat treating out by heating cherry red with a torch before you try drilling. After you get that plate mounted just hook the end of the spring in the remaining hole. This moves the anchor point in front of the pivot and the spring tension holds the in both down and up positions.

I'll run and snap a pic for you...

That's great! Thank you
Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

does this fix mean that the stand won't come flying up anymore? it won't gouge out the side plate? if this is true then many thanks and blessings on you and yours.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Here is the link I know of...

http://www.scottysdirtbikespares.com...stand-fix.html