Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 AM

Default GAS GAS the best kept secret

I looked around and did a lot of research and opinion asking before I bought a bike to get back to the dirt after many years out. I looked into 4ts and 2ts of all brands and kept hearing things like "These run good after you buy a pipe a silencer and reeds". Or "these handle good after you spend about a grand on the suspension". I was kind of put off by "if you drop a valve or break a piston in a 4t you're out $2000 in parts and $1000 in labor"... Isn't that the price of a good used bike I would ask.(which means your bike is now salvage) Then I discovered GasGas. Some models came with FMF pipes Ohlins shocks and Forks or Marazocci. They all come with a super dependable engine with more mid-range usable power. I thought here is a company that knows what works and are building what works so you don't have too. I liked the fact that they weren't trying to build a brochure for a bike by bragging on peak HP or some other number that means nothing when you are on a single track in the woods. I talked to a Yankee from up north who told me "If you haven't ridden in 20 years you probably don't realize that a modern enduro can go more places than a trials bike could back then". He recommended I buy the EC200 I was looking at and promised it would prove his point. This Yankee wasn't just whistling Dixie . I bought the EC200 and as soon as I got it in the woods I wondered why anyone would buy a different brand. As soon as I get done buying all the riding gear I need I'm going to start putting money back for a new GasGas or maybe two. Who knows maybe a GasGas dealership. If the word gets out on how good these are no other bike will sell again.

Doug

Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I had a similar situation as you. I had been out of riding for about 30 years ,I bought a DRZ400 . That got old quick so I started looking for a dirt bike instead of a dual sport.

I had never heard of gasgas , but started reading up on them . I liked the idea that they already came with all the good stuff ,ready to go . I ended up buying a new left over 08 EC300 , based on what I had read. Fortunately they turned out to be the great bike that everyone said they were. I'm a fan now.

I get the feeling like gasgas is about to take off in the US , pretty exciting. And like like you (although I dont know anything about being a dealer) thought it would be neat to be a dealer and help grow gasgas in the US beacuse I believe in the product.

For me , being a dealer is more fantasy than reality though.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I was also out of dirt bike riding for many years when I bought a EC200. Awesome bike! I did things with that bike that I would never have thought of doing. Loved it! Got hurt and sold it...not the bikes fault. Sitting out until next year but I'm still looking and save $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstr6 View Post

I get the feeling like gasgas is about to take off in the US , pretty exciting. And like like you (although I dont know anything about being a dealer) thought it would be neat to be a dealer and help grow gasgas in the US beacuse I believe in the product.

For me , being a dealer is more fantasy than reality though.
I feel the same way. I tried to talk my buddy into add GG to his repair shop but he's a Honda guy and has no clue...sad.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 AM

+2 on that! i was looking for a first bike, and since my girlfriend and her dad are ktm riders, i figured it would be smart to get one of those, as they are very knowledgeable about their bikes, so if i needed help i could get it, and they are pretty nice bikes, i rode my girlfriends 200, and with different bars i would have loved it, but they told me that i should look into gasgas because they were a good bike that were significantly cheaper than a ktm. so i started looking and came across my ec250. it is old, and beat, but it still functions very well, i have to do some jetting and little things like that, but overall it is a fantastic bike, and i got it for 1000 bucks. gasgas is like that little restaurant in the back part of town that nobody knows about but has the BEST food in the state. and i will keep coming back for more.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 AM

I just took the Gas Gas plung this past Saturday and ended up getting a new 2010 EC 300. My first Gas Gas but now that I've tasted the brand it sure won't' be my last. So far I've been offered two trades for it. And I thought the Husky's were an unknown brand.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

my initial impression of GG was that it was a bit rough around the edges, the engine does not look as neatly put together as jap or ktms, but having had one for a few months now i am really starting to appreciate the thought that goes into these bikes, a lot of the basic parts (nuts bolts etc) are easily accessible in hardware stores, even managed to find a rubber grommet for the radiator at an aircon shop, all off-the-shelf. This is v different to the jap bikes i have owned that as soon as you replace a bolt you immediately notice that it is different to the others on th ebike

It may look a bit rough, but is a rough diamond!