Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Default New to GG, How's it compare to the KTM?

I am in the market for a 300 and I'm looking at the EC300 and a 300XC-W(E).
I have found a new 08 EC300 for $6000, and a used KTM 300 is about the same or a little less.
My first concern is, man the GasGas really looses its value, quickly.

How do these bike compare in the tight single track conditions? I primarily in the Southeast and never get above 4th gear on my 450 EXC.
I am wanting a bike that is; Lighter; Turns great; Less maintenance than the 4 stroke.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.
I realize that choosing the GG is probably the worst financial plan, but is it that much better of a bike to outweigh this loss.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm on my third Gas Gas. I think they compare very favorably to the KTM. I really doubt you'll be disappointed in the bike. You are correct about the resale, but if you plan to own it for a few years, those lines cross in about four years.
I'd personally prefer a new leftover bike to a used one. Just my opinion.

My brother in law has an '08 300 XC-w. I love it, and I also love my EC 300. The bikes are close enough in performance and likability that if all things were equal, it really wouldn't matter which one you chose. My bike is an '01, though it has very little time on it, so it may as well be an '06. That same brother in law likes my EC 300 enough that he keeps saying that he'll seriously consider a Gas Gas next time around. The area the Gasser has the KTM beat for me is in suspension. Mine has Ohlins front and rear, but my last one had the WP/Ohlins combo, and it was just great too. To me the Gasser feels more planted/less busy than the KTM, but the KTM feels a little lighter on its feet. That's not to say the GG doesn't turn, because for me, it's the best handling package I have ever slung a leg over, including my history of 125's, and you know how flickable a 125 is.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I think they compare very favorably to the KTM. I really doubt you'll be disappointed in the bike. You are correct about the resale, but if you plan to own it for a few years, those lines cross in about four years.
I'd personally prefer a new leftover bike to a used one. Just my opinion.
I second that.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM

The reply by Roostafish says a lot when he implys that the 01 GasGAS is as good and in some ways better than the 08 KTM. I agree with him and haven ridden both. I own an 01xc300 and an 07ec250 (now a 300) and while I loved the 01 the 07 is lighter (probably within a pound or two of the 08 KTM) and handles quicker. I live in Tennessee and ride at Westpoint which has about 100 miles of the best single track that I have ever had the pleasure to ride. The GG300 with the heavier (ec) ignition works great there for me. The 01 300 with the lighter xc ignition was more violent on the bottom even with a 10oz. flywheel weight making it more tiring to ride in the tight stuff. The two 08 KTM 300s I rode were stock and hit hard on the bottom also. For me the new KTMs handle well enough to make me happy but I would have to change the pipe to mellow out the low end for fast riding in the tight stuff.