Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Hi, new Gasser 450 owner here!

Hi my name is Katrina, I just bought my first Gas Gas, a 450 FSR!

This is my first Gas Gas though I have had other bikes (YZ250f, CBR600f3, and other littler dirtbikes)

So far I love the bike and so just thought I would introduce myself!

WARNING:
I will be asking lots of dumb questions probably about things like "Why does it have 2 drain holes 2 filters plus the big oil filter and what to do there"

Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Welcome Why Z. no worries ask away.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 PM

Default Initial questions:

1. Fuel: owners manual says:

"antiknock index" (Ron+mom)/2 = 90.
Research octane number (R.O.N.?) = 98.
(So, does this mean:

a) I have to run race fuel, or
b) I can run pump gas which (I believe) is supposed to be the (Ron/mon)/2 (in other words 91 octane ok...?)

1a) would this be strictly nonoxygenated fuel or is EtOH (10%) ok?

2. OIL: I have noticed and PO pointed out to me there is the regular oil filter by the side of her case you pull out and also 2 holes at the bottom w screen filters:

2a) is tranny oil and motor oil just one thing on this bike or are there 2 step cases or sumps? (Owners manual was confusing on this, and, sorry of this is a really really dumb question but is one I really really don't wanna EFF up.

2b) what kind viscosity/ grade do you run? It says for tranny oil 5w 40 and for engine... It gives a bunch of ranges but doesn't say this is separate....???

Just wanna make sure I get all this right on my baby.....
Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 AM

Hey Why Z, I'm going to assume your bike is roughly 2006 - 2011 :

Run the highest octane fuel you can, preferably 98 - or else use octane booster. I would avoid the Ethanol blend, it is not good for the plastic in your fuel system.

Just change the oil filter in the case very 15hrs or so with the oil. Yes it is just one change, oil only - no tranny fluid. I found 5w40 very hard to find - 10w 40 is fine
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 AM

Full synthetic Rotella is 5W40 and safe for the clutch, motor, and trans. About $24 a gallon at WalMart.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 PM

That's awesome to hear about the Rotella 5W 40, I really like the price too!

But just makin sure.....
There's no funky automotive additives that would harm my baby ?

I have always been super skeptical about using automotive oils in a motorcycle....
Old 05-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Automotive oils have friction reducing compounds that are not good for motorcycle clutches. Diesel specific oils and motorcycle specific oils do not have these friction modifiers. That is why you see recommendations for Rotella oil which is popular for diesel applications (and motorcycles).
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 AM

A-Ha! Thanks for clearing that up, Neil! That is awesome!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Have you ridden any other 450's to compare power, and how much engine breaking does it have? Thank you.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 PM

Ok here is what I would have to say about this bike in comparison to others:

07 GG 450 vs:

RMZ450 (MX bike) This bike is definitely a lot mellower off the line as it should be (enduro bike where stalling is a concern vs a MX bike where you just go) the RMZ is almost hard to keep the wheel off the ground.
This bike can take the wheel off the ground too, just doesn't do it unless you mean to).
At first glance this feel like the power of the GG pales in comparison to the RMZ. When you get it in gear and in the meat of the power band though you can tell it packs a punch. The RMz does 0 to 30 and 30 to 50 great, like tear your face off great but after that the RMZ starts to pull hard it's winding out. Well the GG does a great job at that too except when you get to 50, it just keeps going . 50 to 70 , 70 to 90. It always has more to give.

The power is extremely linear on the GG. There is not a "HiT" like a MX bike but there's also not a "dead spot" like on the next bike. The GG is definitely a bit heavier than the RMZ as would be expected (FI, E-start/battery, lighting, other farkles etc) but not super heavy or unmanageable. I am little and I am fine with my GG for what I am using it for.

03 WR 450 (carbed)
The GG is faster, louder (even with a GYTR exhaust on the Yammi). The Yammi seems geared a bit taller, somethin I personally didn't like. The Yammi I had to start in 1st gear but it was such a granny gear I was in it for like a half second and hitting neutral was somewhat an issue. NOT an issue on the GG! At first ride you will wonder if the neutral even exists!

Power delivery on the Yammi - throttle response has a noticeable lag, (the GG does not) and also seems to be geared taller than the Yammi. As such, I feel the powerband on the Yammi is kind of like stairs - it is like the throttle catches up so there is somewhat of a hit then it flattens out and hen you shift up same thing.

The GG having 6 gears I think allows the tranny to be more of a "medium ratio" than a true wide ratio transmission. While delivering power/traction in the perfect amount. It seems to be geared PERFeCTLY for a "go anywhere" bike . Low enough for anything I will care to cross, wide enough to be smooth and practical, but narrow enough to be able to keep it on powerband. Coming off a MX bike and sportbike this is very important to me , to really be able to pound thru the gears with an instant response if I want to! But you don't have to!

Not so with he RMZ. The RMZ needs to be ridden balls out period and you better have some loan to ride in to keep that wheel on the ground. The WR on the other hand can ride more chill like the GG maybe even more so but can't slam thru the gears quite the way the GG can.

Coming off MX bikes I don't have tones of experience on enduro so my knowledge of truly comparable 450s is limited . I would have loved to test this bike against the KTM EXC and the Husky offerings. My hunch is that this one would be more similar to the Husky with a slightly "closer ratio" gearing but this is somewhat speculative .

I would say the power delivery from 0-50 is very similar to maybe my previous 04 YZ250f. Similar feel to the throttle response and powe and powerband characteristics . Probably easier to get front wheel off ground on this bike though. And the gearing probably a bit wider on this bike but hey a 450 can push those gears around more.

It is from 50 to ....? That the GG is like having a YZ250f with like 10 gears if you can imagine that!

Basically I wanted something like my YZ250f ... That I could take everywhere. )including highways, to work, etc, legal, e-start, etc) this bike fit the bill just like that.
People say these bikes are heavy.... Well sure they have a point on the pro enduro circuit but in the world of street legal out of the box it's petty hard to beat ! It has all te convenience and legal features of a Dual Sport and weighs , what....50-100lbs less than most of the current choices on the market?

Not enough data yet to comment on off-road performance. Still dialing that in.

Sorry to be long winded --- if you can't tell I absolutely LOVE my bike!!!!!