Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Uk mot requirements

I have had my 2006 ec 300 for about 3 or 4 months.
The mot runs out next week. Not sure what I need to do to it.
Its got not for road use tires on. Do i change them or just try and get the bit that says "not for road use" rubbed off. if so what's the best way to do it with out looking obvious?

I have a brake light but it only works on the rear brake. Have I got to get it working on the front too?

The switch gear is on the radiator hose, does this need to be on the bars?

You really can not tell the difference between the brake light and the main rear light, it does operate a different element but when the main light is on you can't see the brake light coming on.

I live in Worcestershire does anyone know any sympathetic mot stations.?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Just get a daylight MOT just tape all the lights up and then you don't need to worry about them, best part of it is, the just for daylight MOT doesn't show up anywhere on any paperwork..

Just make sure your tyres and number plate are ok and that you have good brake pads and wheel bearings and chain/sprockets, and that you have a working horn!

Not many MOT places really know what to do with enduro bikes so get the above right and present the bike clean and you should be ok.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM

eviljim

You only need one brake light switch working it can be either front or rear just as long as one does work.

I asked a couple of weeks ago when mine was at test.
FMF Gnarly
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM

Cool
First place I called to test it, could not get the concept of an enduro bike. "No mate you need indicators" was the first response then when I asked a few more questions it became very clear he just could not compute.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Talking

It passed!
Found a very good little garage.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Default Mot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljim View Post
It passed!
Found a very good little garage.
glad it passed fella.. it's worth posting up what the actual requirements were for other uk users of this site, probably best in the UK section
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 PM

i usually just dremel the 'not' part off the tyres.. lookes obvious but the mot guy doesnt care.

you need indicators if the bike has rear foot pegs,,

im not sure about brake lights, but for a full mot they gotta be working front and back..

2002 EC 300
07 Fireblade
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage sausage View Post
glad it passed fella.. it's worth posting up what the actual requirements were for other uk users of this site, probably best in the UK section
Good Point, but I don't think I know. I think it's vital to find a good test station that understands enduro bikes.

So after talking to a proper knuckel drager, on my first attempt to find somewhere to take my bike, I decided to call a little bike shop that sells vintage bikes, bits and bobs. Its been there since I was a kid. Anyway they gave me a name of a garage, It turned out to be a great place, I talked with the owner for ages about places to ride bikes, getting old and braking bones etc.

So on to the bike. From what I could see this is what was tested.
General condition. He checked nothing was loose, the plastics, the exhaust, number plate, lights, all the controls, petrol cap. Checked the brakes, pads, disks all tight etc. Check the wheel condition, spokes, rims, bearings.
Checked the suspension operation.

Check the Head set, the triple clamps for cracks I think, I did not see it but I presume he checked the frame and sub frame, engine mounts.

The bike was put on a brake strength testing machine.

Then he called me out to the bike and tested the head light alignment, lights, horn brake lights. This helped as I knew where the grey areas on my bikes electrics are. Ie I have only one brake light switch, so I used the one that worked, I believe this is ok anyway, but I did not ask. My brake light is not any brighter than my rear light (just the wrong bulb I think) so I made sure I turned off the lights before I demoed it. My number plate light is passive form the main light so this was ok. My switch gear it sucked at the back of the radiator on a hose, this did not seem to bother him (I have a separate kill switch on the bars) I have no indicators on my bike (no rear pegs). Tested the horn.

The only other grey area except the electrics was the rear tyre. I cut off the not for road use on the rear tyre and then sanded it down, If you wanted to find it you could, but It?s pretty clear this bike is not ridden on the road much. My front tyre is road legal.

He said the bike was in good condition, new brake pads, good wheels, runs well. he often sees them in a bad way, broken spokes, pads warn out shoddy plastics. So I think the fact it?s looked after makes them look over the technicalities like the rear tyre.

Not sure any of that is of any use.
Sorry about the bad English, I am dyslexic. I will correct when I read again later.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM

I don't think anyone definitively knows how to apply the MOT test to an enduro bike.

What it comes down to is that you need an MOT (and tax and insurance) 'in the system' if stopped by the police or involved in a road accident. The finer points, such as which tyres are legal, are something of a grey area. If the police want to nick you, they will use a grey area such as tyre requirements to charge you with an offence under their interpretation of the law.