Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Default A quick Watcha & few ?s ec2012

Hi guys & girls.
I've just come 450 fe berg which I've had 2 of in the last 4.5years which was superb bikes,anyhow fancied a change & didn't want to be mr sheep & go orange so thought why not try a GG,so here we are
Have to be honest I've know nout about GG so bare with me,last time I rode one few years ago a300 it shook the shit out of me so guess it put me off abit.looks like they've come along way since then
If just bought 250ec e 12 model,picked it up with 50 miles on her & have afew Qs. Took it for a spin & every time the powerband kicked in it bogged so only got few miles & had to come home.im 90%sure it was doing this due to wrong mix.the guy I bought it of said he ran it 33-1 & had approx 2-3 litres left in it,I topped the rest of the tank with 50-1 ratio thought get on & ride it but my guess its running to rich,the end can had fair bit of oil on it & there was few specs of oil on the plastics.so I guess it's a case of drain the fuel & start again??
Also the steering is making tiny creaking noise so guess the head bearings need greasing up,I take it its n easy job.i don't have Manual but have glanced at one online but its bit of a pain in arse keeping looking online every time.
So look forward to replies & having bait of a mingle on here
Will gladly listen to any does n donuts u guys can recomend

Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM

33-1 is a pretty rich gas-oil mix, but that doesn't explain the bog. I have the same bike and usually run about 50:1 gas-oil.

The bog you mentioned might have more to do with a lean condition in the carb caused by some junk blocking the main jet, or the jetting itself is waaay off.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 AM

Hi Fakesy, If you go to the Gas Gas espana site > manuals > look up parts manual for your bike > click 'file' on your pdf reader, there should be an option to 'save as' or 'save a copy' to keep on your computer.

If the bike is virtually new, it probably has very rich jetting and maybe the previous owner did something weird with the air screw or needle clip to try and make it run better. There's loads of info on here in the 2 stroke engine and intake / carburation sections on this forum. I'm guessing you're in the uk, if so, a call to Dave at Biketech or Steve Plain to get the set up info and needles / jets to make it run right would be worthwhile
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 AM

Cheers chaps. Yep I'm from uk down south.i didn't think to mess around with the carb as thought the dealer should of set it up when it left the shop but like u said perhaps the previous owner had a twiddle.so no need to drain the fuel yet,I'll have a look at carb settings and take it from there,never had to touch a carb before as use to fi for last few yrs.
How about greasing the head bearings,as have looked online manual & it says take to dealer
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 AM

start a new thread in the jetting section , the standard needle isnt the best though , i got mine pretty close then bought a smart carb
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakesy View Post
Cheers chaps. Yep I'm from uk down south.i didn't think to mess around with the carb as thought the dealer should of set it up when it left the shop but like u said perhaps the previous owner had a twiddle.so no need to drain the fuel yet,I'll have a look at carb settings and take it from there,never had to touch a carb before as use to fi for last few yrs.
How about greasing the head bearings,as have looked online manual & it says take to dealer
If you're mechanically inclined you should be able to grease the head bearings yourself- if you want to.
I did mine yesterday afternoon.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakesy View Post
Mate, it's just another motorcycle, the formula is pretty standard between manufacturers these days. The exception being the engines but the GG's are a pretty user friendly design.
Get into it :-)
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Will get the spaners out, I'm not to bad as long as its just nuts n bolts ,engine wise ill leave it to the people in the know
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Quick update.
I changed the plug as the one it came with looks like some cheapo,drained the fuel, refilled with 50-1. Had spin up the road and now it's seems do be doing what it should do.will know more next week when take it for a decent ride