Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Default Need Some Help, PLEASE. Re: difficult terrain, slow riding on 99 EC300.

So I am pretty new to enduro bikes and enduro riding as have generally always rode MX, just for fun. I enjoy enduro and rough terrain much more than the high speeds of MX and it also goes better with the fact I'm not 18 anymore.

So my question. I have a 1999 EC300. Love the bike and done a lot to bring it back to life with new plastic, graphics, etc. It chugs like a mule, even when in the wrong gear, up the hills and is a real workhorse. However I do have a question that I need help with. And forgive me if this is an elementary question as I am fairly new to all this.

When I ride in super technical, difficult, slow terrain I have to constantly give it gas to keep it running and stay on/off the clutch a lot. I stall it alot. And it may be me. or not be.

In contrast I have a friend who has a BMW G450X and with it you can just throw it in first or second gear and it never stalls, you can go as slow as you want to and you never have to use so much clutch. It just chugs along and no matter how slow and difficult the terrain it is it just never knocks off whether I am giving it gas or not.

Is this a four stroke vs two stroke issue? Or is there something that I can do to my EC300 to make it respond like the G450X where you throw it in a low gear and chug along? With my EC300, once I pop it into gear I must give it gas or it will knock off.

Again, this probably sounds like an idiotic question to the more experienced riders but I'm just learning and need some guidance.

I love my EC300 but the much maligned G450X is really a fun bike to ride in those slow, difficult terrain situations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM

- Your clutch may be dragging (try a different oil or replace worn clutch parts).
- Your carb. may need to be set up better.
- You might like an auto. clutch (but address previous issues first).
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I had a lean bog this morning on my 2002 300. It ran great, loved the open throttle, but as soon as I went from a closed throttle corner and tried to open it up, I got a bog. I raised the needle one clip and it started really singing. No stalls, no hiccups.

It sounds like you need to set up the baseline carb settings as it sounds like a lean condition. Make sure you set the pilot jet and air screw, then muck about with the needle and main jet. I am pretty sure you can get it sorted pretty simply with adjustments, but you might need some jets to really get it going.

Make your way to the jetting section and have a read about setting your pilot and air screw. Great place to start to really learn how to tune the bike so you like it.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Clutch drag will play a part, and even does in some situations on newer models too. Jetting plays a big part on how easily it wants to flame out. Too rich and it'll stall every time you close the throttle. The float height can also be responsible for contributing towards this. The forward lean of the carb coupled with some hard braking or downhill action makes it more of an issue.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming. I appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM

X2 on the lean condition. I had the same issue with my 300 would stall constantly, changed the needle, larger pilot and main jet adjusted the air screw and now it won't stall even when the motor is barely spinning. Bottom end torque is awesome!!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Oh.. Sleepy head here just had another thought I forgot to mention. What gearing are you running? Stock they run 13/48. Most people find 13/50 works a bit better for technical, and I think some with 250's even go as far as 13/52 just to give it some more snap.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cberg View Post
X2 on the lean condition. I had the same issue with my 300 would stall constantly, changed the needle, larger pilot and main jet adjusted the air screw and now it won't stall even when the motor is barely spinning. Bottom end torque is awesome!!
With rich vs lean, generally a lean bike will continue to race or idle high when off the throttle, but will cut out and die when you open the throttle to try and make it go again. On the other hand, a richer setting off the bottom won't idle very well and be prone to stalling when you close the throttle or coast into corners. It'll burble a lot at light to moderate engine loads, but will chug like a tractor if you can keep a load on the engine and the throttle open.

Adding to this. A lean bike won't idle off choke until some time has passed and will exhibit the symptoms more when cold and appear to take a long time to warm up. A rich bike will just about start from cold with no choke and will be more prone to the stalling as it comes up to temp.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM

I am not that knowledgable with jetting, Jakobi is one who is.
I do know that my bike did not run that great, had very little torque when climbing and would stall alot, and since I went to richer settings it now runs fantastic!!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Since I am not the most mechanical person on the planet....and that's an understatement....how much would what you guys are referring to cost from my local bike shop? They mainly deal in street and motocross but I would think they could do what you guys are recommending.