Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 AM

Question So What Is In YOur Tool Pouch?

I just got my new tool pouch in the other day and was going to start filling it with tools. I figured I would ask this question because I want to make sure that I do not over pack it with crap I don't need.

So......What is in your tool pouch?

Boom

Old 12-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Hello Boom,

Dark Chocolate, compact GPS, Cellphone (satellite if you can afford it and going far away), the rest I am sure you will find with the next posts.

Cheers + Merry Christmas,

Gus

XR250, WR250 2t, WR400, GG EC250, EXC520...next..?

Believe what you speak...you will received!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:30 AM

It depends upon where I'm going to ride.

"Open Course", where I could be quite a few miles from the truck, means bringing tire tools and a spare tube in a separate pouch.

Otherwise, basic hand tools, duct tape (wrapped around the fork leg, electrical tape (wrapped around the kickstart lever), plumbers strap, ty wraps, hose clamps, bailing wire, a few fasteners, tow strap and a couple of plugs.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 PM

A good survival kit is considered if you drive far, knife and a magnesium bar for making fire is allways good to carry.

Cheers,

Gus

XR250, WR250 2t, WR400, GG EC250, EXC520...next..?

Believe what you speak...you will received!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Okay guys I am an Enduro/Trail Rider. I was just wondering what tools do you have in your tool pouch. I just want to make sure I got the right stuff as I have never carried a tool pouch just an extra spark plug, plug wrench, & a small first aid kit in my old back pack.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 PM

My tool bag consist of a MSR socket set that has a small rachet, a screwdriver w/ phillips tip on one end, and flat tip on the on the other. A small pair of side cutters. A few zip ties. A modified spark plug wrench. spark plug holder, extra plug, a few feet of safety wire. A couple of metric bolts and some Moose putty. Also 20 feet of millitary grade RP550 cord...just in case a tow is needed. I also keep a few links of chain with an extra master links w/ mini press. Thats it for me.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

To add to the mix above...

- motion pro enduro tire irons
- leatherman tool
- moto-pump w/4 CO2 cartridges
- I saw Les with some stubby snap-on wrenches in his tool wrap many years ago and picked up on this - they are shorter and lighter. I go with cheaper husky or craftsman...

jeff
Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well Boom it's about time you decided to make sure you could help your self out instead of relying on some one else to save your bacon.

A few things important to me that I carry that aren't on the list and are small but could save your bacon:

1. A small mag light and extra battery. My buddy finished a night enduro with one between his teeth after his lights went out, it could get you back to the truck.
2. a cigarette lighter. fire's good. Heat, smoke signal.
3. a referees whistle, in case I'm hurt and off the trail and out of sight. Another rider with a helmet on will hear the whistle far before your pleas for help.
4. Money, its a lot easier to get someone to give you a lift or help you out if your offering up some dough.
5. Power bar or jerky. Makes being stranded a bit more comfortable.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 AM

All of the items previously listed are excellent - especially in emergency situations unrelated to mechanical repairs.
As far as tools go, here's what's in my tool kit on every ride.

1. Combination open-end / box-end wrenches in 8mm, 10mm, 13mm and 17mm sizes.
2. Small Vise-Grips and small needle nose pliers.
3. Plug wrench and spare plug.
4. screwdriver handle with interchangeable bits (I carry a couple of flat blade bits, a couple of phillips bits, allen head bits matched to the fasteners on the bike and some star head bits, also matched to the bike.
5. 1/4" ratchet handle with extension.
6. 8mm, 10mm and 13mm sockets for above.
7 Adjustable wrench big enough for the axle bolts.
8. Zip-ties, a little bailing wire, some electrical tape, some metal putty in a 35mm film canister and some extra fasteners.

On long rides, add the tire irons and tube (when we go out in a group, one guy carries a front, another a rear, a third carries the tire irons and a fourth
a CO2 tire inflator).

I like the idea of the whistle. Have never needed it, but you never know...

. . . and an old toothbrush for cleaning parts.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM

The way I came up with what tools to pack for enduros, hare scrambles and practice / trail rides is when you do your maintenance on your bike make a list of the tools you use, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, wire cutters, spark plug wrench, etc.

Then you start consolidating and shrinking sizes, stubby wrenches, combo screwdriver, ¼” drive ratchet, extension, ¼” to 3/8” adapter, for allen wrenches I use Hex bit sockets,
Mini vise grip with wire cutter, small diagonal cutter for cutting zip ty’s or on the odd occasion if you run across some fence wire and it happens to wrap tightly around your brake pedal and rear hub, you then have a way to remove it. This happened to me years ago on a long practice ride and I was the only one of 6 guys to have any tools.

Then to make sure you have the right tools do your maintenance using your tool pouch only, a bunch of times. It also helps break in you tool pouch so tools come out and back in a lot faster so if you have bike problems on the trail you won’t be fumbling around through your tool pouch losing precious time. Like if you smack a tree and discover your front headlight number plate is dangling you can quickly zip ty that sucker on and keep moving or if something keeps smacking you on the back of you boot you stop to see what’s up and discover your kick stand is hanging on with 1 bolt you can pop out your ratchet and socket (you should already know what size because of your regular maintenance) and either put in spare bolt or remove and zip ty to swing arm or fork then at next gas drop it off or after a crash your bark buster is pointing north you can quickly loosen and adjust to normal position, you get the idea.

Good luck and thanks for carrying tools it truly makes all of are ride more enjoyable.