Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Default rear wheel situation

Hi all,

Just replaced the rear wheel bearings on my 05 ec300. A 6004 in one side, and a 6004, a washer/spacer provided by GG, and a 6204 I believe in the other side. Everything turns smoothly...until I put some torque on the axle nut. Then the wheel doesn't want to spin freely..

Any suggestions are appreciated! (funky bearing? bad outer spacers? bad inner spacer?)

rdb

Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 AM

Looking forward to the responses on this one. I've noticed that (just like a Kawasaki I had with only 2 bearings) its sensitive to overtorqueing. Make sure you don't go past the recommended 98nm, which seems high to me. I've tried less, like 70nm, but didn't help much and the chain seemed to loosen some after riding. The adjusters should keep this from happening tho no ?
My KTM that uses 80nm spins nice and free with the same setup and a new tight chain.
My thought is the axle is wearing and without weight on the bike, the wheel is spinning without any help from the bearing.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Site Sponsor

rdbandkab

I'd bet you're over torqued.

It's also possible that the inner aluminum hub washer (spacer-found between the drive side bearings) has been slimmed if it was overtorqued before.

Did you press them in or tap them in?

Also did you put pressure on the inner or outer races?

Did you change wheel spacers or seals?

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure that you have the right parts? I checked the 2005 parts catalog and I see different numbers listed. Also, did you remember to put the wheel spacer (35) back in during reassembly?

As shown below in the diagram,
Bearing (36) on brake side = 6004
Wheel spacer (35)
Inner Bearing (8) on drive side = 6204
Washer (58)
Outer Bearing (59) on drive side = 6005

Old 12-28-2006, 08:36 PM

from what i've been told, you'll be using 2 6004's and no 6005 bearings with the 6204. a misprint in the later manuals?
I'm thinking I smashed the little bearing spacer just enough..(or the seized bearing, aka the bearing that froze and caused this mess, ground enough spacer material to make it too thin). Any thickness specs on that spacer?
Middle hub spacer looks fine. Might look into new outer spacers also.

One more thing. I also noticed some space between the swingarm and the outer wheel spacer when i mount the tire and start running the axle through the other side of the swingarm.. Like i'll be pinching the arms together when I tighten down the axle nut.

Oh well... thanks for the info and suggestions!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
from what i've been told, you'll be using 2 6004's and no 6005 bearings with the 6204. a misprint in the later manuals?
<snip>
Oh well... thanks for the info and suggestions!
To clear this up a bit...
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect about the bearings needed;
but you are correct about the mistake in the parts book. There is a mistake with the bearings shown. It has been incorrect since the 2003 parts manual came out.
It should show two 6004 and one 6005 being used.

On your bike (or any 2003 & later), the 6005 bearing should be the one used in the outside position on the sprocket side of the rear wheel. (An exception might be if the older left outside wheel spacer were used with the 6204, but I haven't thought that one through all the way. )

The 6204 bearing (which is the proper bearing for this position on the 2002 & earlier models) will fit in your hub, but the will not have the proper interface with your left rear wheel spacer.

On the '03 & newer Gassers, the left rear outside wheel spacer slips inside the inner race of the outside bearing The 6005 bearing has a larger inside diameter to accomodate this. On the older GG bikes, the left outside spacer just butts up against the 6204's inner race.)

I think that your inner spacer is probably deformed enough to allow the outside bearing to bind when the axle is properly tightened.

Good luck with this. Please let us know how it goes.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Cook; 01-02-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM

figured it out....(sort of.....i know what i have to order anyway)

I think the bearing spacer(or whatever you want to call it) and/or the outer(drive side) stepped aluminum spacer got damaged at some point. I'm thinking either I smashed the bearing spacer removing the bearings or it got worn down by a frozen bearing. In any case....what was happening to bind the wheel was, the "outer" aluminum spacer(drive side) was bottoming out and putting a load on the larger outer bearing's inner race(which, as far as I can see, isn't a continuation of the solid tube your trying to create to run the axle through, instead of bottoming out on the weird thin spacer(between the two bearings) which is against the inner bearing's inner race. Whew....
Anyway... when I tightened the axle nut, it pushed the aluminum spacer into the big outer bearing.. Since its inner race really didn't have too much support, the outer bearing bound up.
The simple fix for the weekend was to grind out a washer that would have an inner diameter that would fit around the axle, but would be small enough to drop through the big outer bearings inner race. This made a solid connective tube from the brake side aluminum spacer-which rests on the inner race of the brake side bearing-which rests against the aluminum hub tube, which rests against the small bearings inner race(drive side)-which is against the flat weird bearing spacer thing-which rests against my hogged out washer-that rests lastly against the stepped aluminum outer spacer.
Anywho..... I either "shortend/smashed" the stepped alum spacer or "smashed" the wierd bearing spacer.....which left a little gap between the outer alum spacer and the inner bearing's inner race.
looking at the diagram above, your trying to make a solid "tube" with numbers 10,36,35,8,58, and 37. That's my theory anyway....ha ha ha.... I may be wrong.
that was probably too long and confusing!!!!

Last edited by rdbandkab; 01-01-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
To clear this up a bit...
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect about the bearings needed;
but you are correct about the mistake in the parts book. There is a mistake with the bearings shown. It has been incorrect since the 2003 parts manual came out.
It should show two 6004 and one 6005 being used.

On your bike (or any 2003 & later), the 6005 bearing should be the one used in the outside position on the sprocket side of the rear wheel. (An exception might be if the older left outside wheel spacer were used with the 6204, but I haven't thought that one through all the way. )

The 6204 bearing (which is the proper bearing for this position on the 2002 & earlier models) will fit in your hub, but the will not have the proper interface with your left rear wheel spacer.

On the '03 & newer Gassers, the left rear outside wheel spacer slips inside the inner race of the outside bearing The 6005 bearing has a larger inside diameter to accomodate this. On the older GG bikes, the left outside spacer just butts up against the 6204's inner race.)

I think that your inner spacer is probably deformed enough to allow the outside bearing to bind when the axle is properly tightened.

Good luck with this. Please let us know how it goes.

Jim
Sry I have to push up this old thread as I have to change my bearings on my '06 300...
The rear wheel binds and I'm a little confused bout the right bearings to use. The microfiche from gasgasmoto.es say I had to use 1 6004, 1 6204 and 1 6005. (Up to 2014).
The 2015 fiche says 2 6004 and 1 6005 just like Jim Cook mentioned.
So could someone plz tell which ones to use as I d like to get rid of that binding :-(
Can it be that it lasted 11 years till gasgas has the right parts in the fiche?

Rob
Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muellersq View Post
Sry I have to push up this old thread as I have to change my bearings on my '06 300...
The rear wheel binds and I'm a little confused bout the right bearings to use. The microfiche from gasgasmoto.es say I had to use 1 6004, 1 6204 and 1 6005. (Up to 2014).
The 2015 fiche says 2 6004 and 1 6005 just like Jim Cook mentioned.
So could someone plz tell which ones to use as I d like to get rid of that binding :-(
Can it be that it lasted 11 years till gasgas has the right parts in the fiche?

Rob
As others have noted, I think after 2003 the parts changed and have remained the same at least through 2010 - maybe through to 2015 but I dunno for sure.

I have a 2010 and the parts listed below for sure work - I noted the parts from an old Jakobi post in a thread re: bearings or the stepped spacer or something like that. Don't forget, the stepped side on the spacer goes to the outboard side.

Rear Wheel:

Seals 1 of each (mm) - 32x47x7, 25x42x7
Bearings - 6004-2RD x 2, 6005-2RD x 1

Front Wheel:

Seals (mm) - 30x42x7 x 2
Bearings - 6905-2RD x 2
Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
As others have noted, I think after 2003 the parts changed and have remained the same at least through 2010 - maybe through to 2015 but I dunno for sure.

I have a 2010 and the parts listed below for sure work - I noted the parts from an old Jakobi post in a thread re: bearings or the stepped spacer or something like that. Don't forget, the stepped side on the spacer goes to the outboard side.

Rear Wheel:

Seals 1 of each (mm) - 32x47x7, 25x42x7
Bearings - 6004-2RD x 2, 6005-2RD x 1

Front Wheel:

Seals (mm) - 30x42x7 x 2
Bearings - 6905-2RD x 2
Hey JP4!
Thx for the info, I'll try that. Have my spacers and washer already, now going to get the SKF bearings.