Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Default U.S. Postage prices

I was gonna buy some bits from go fasters a seat cover and some graphics for $60 but postage is another $30.

I bet I could post the same parts to the U.S. 1st class recorded delivery for $15.
sometimes I bid on items from ebay (not bike parts ) and the postage prices seem to be ridiculous.

just a question why is it so expensive?? I bet more people would buy parts from the U.S. here in the UK if the postage wasn't so over the top.

please dont all shoot me at once

Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Mailing from the US to the UK is cheap compared to mailing to the UK from Canada..........
They could be quoting you Airmail rates....??
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage sausage View Post
I was gonna buy some bits from go fasters a seat cover and some graphics for $60 but postage is another $30.

I bet I could post the same parts to the U.S. 1st class recorded delivery for $15.
sometimes I bid on items from ebay (not bike parts ) and the postage prices seem to be ridiculous.

just a question why is it so expensive?? I bet more people would buy parts from the U.S. here in the UK if the postage wasn't so over the top.

please dont all shoot me at once
I agree and I live in the U.S. when a 1 pound item costs $15.00 in postage. Flat postage fees are a way to increase the profit of an item. My wife works for the post office and it's criminal what some companies charge for postage.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM

If you think that it isn't fair, just email Mark. Pricing is only calculated by price, the website does not know if something is big or small. Many times the pricing is spot on.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM

US Postal Service rates look like a steal compared to shipping via Canada Post domestically and abroad. Canada Post made $400 millon profit in 2010 -from their fees you can see why.

I buy stuff out of the UK that is shipped Royal Mail and it's ridiculous how cheap RM rates are. You're spoiled by that my friend.

My experience with GoFasters is that the USPS shipping rates are cheaper if you order over the phone rather than the internet. Shipping rates for phone orders seem to be calculated more acurrately based on weight and size.

Also, if you order more stuff that you know you'll need in the future, you can take advantage of USPS size and weight limits to maximize what you get in a box to save shipping costs on stuff you're going to buy eventually.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I agree and I live in the U.S. when a 1 pound item costs $15.00 in postage. Flat postage fees are a way to increase the profit of an item. My wife works for the post office and it's criminal what some companies charge for postage.

+ 1 on companies using postage fees to increase profit "shipping and handling" emphasis on handling. I stopped ordering from one particular business who did this to me more than once.

I've found that using the postal service for shipping can be reasonable if you take the time to find the shipping option that suits the circumstances, unfortunately many businesses don't take the time and you will get gigged on the receiving end for shipping that's 5 times too high.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
US Postal Service rates look like a steal compared to shipping via Canada Post domestically and abroad. Canada Post made $400 millon profit in 2010 -from their fees you can see why.

I buy stuff out of the UK that is shipped Royal Mail and it's ridiculous how cheap RM rates are. You're spoiled by that my friend.

My experience with GoFasters is that the USPS shipping rates are cheaper if you order over the phone rather than the internet. Shipping rates for phone orders seem to be calculated more acurrately based on weight and size.

Also, if you order more stuff that you know you'll need in the future, you can take advantage of USPS size and weight limits to maximize what you get in a box to save shipping costs on stuff you're going to buy eventually.
+1

By calling your order in, the order is then calculated by actual costs, sometimes pricing of actual products will vary from internet to phone. You have to realize that for a specialty company like GasGas there isnt 30,000 bikes being sold every year. I am sure as soon as Mark makes a pile of cash he will spend it on making GasGas operations better before he builds himself a new mansion on the lake.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

I'm not bashing Mark. I'm calling out any company who over charges postage to make an extra buck.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I had about 2kg sent from gofaster to southern africa with USPS express mail service for about the same price (which is the same sort of price I was getting from mxsouth previously) but I emailed in my order
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 AM

I ship a lot. Shipping IS expensive, even without bumping up "handling".