Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Exclamation Help Please

Hey you gassers!
I'm new here and I'm going to look at a '02 xc or ec 300 w/efm auto. I haven't a clue as what to look for good/bad on a GasGas. What should the value be on a clean well kept bike such as this? Do you like the Efm? I'm 6'4 can I get it to fit me? parts avaible for this model? etc etc your opinions please.

Hopefull future Gasser

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...ed/bikepic.jpg

Last edited by KicksonR66; 03-16-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: PIC

Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

You can find a listing of aftermarket parts available on the main site here.

Looks pretty clean, to say the least... It has the "XC" sticker on the swingarm - so it will have an abbreviated wire harness and probably a lighter ignition (I can't see where the wires exit from the case).

From the photo - I see ohlins forks which are an "upgrade". Also has LT-Racing Power Valve Cover, Chain Guide & Case Saver, Fastway footpegs, pro-tapers?, and tall seat foam w/ cover...

For the taller rider, this one should already be very close to what you need - looks like it is already set up with a Tall seat and already has "lowboy" fastway footpegs. Depending on the bar - you might be "set". If the bars feel too low -you can opt for a taller bar bend or go for an aftermarket bar clamp where you have a choice of bar mounting heights and positions.

I can't tell from the photo - is that an aftermarket tank too?

jeff
webmaster
gasgas riders club
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM

Wow your good! His description only say's oversized tank so I'm assuming so, I was looking at the Gas Gas models and I couldn't find an XC or a 300 in red plastics. What can I expect for power delivery? Ever ride with EFM auto?

Thanks Webmaster!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

It looks like it has a gnarly pipe - which is a low-mid pipe. Probably has an LTR jetting kit in it as well... For power delivery it will pull linearly and "with authority" off bottom and into mid. They typically come geared a little tall to have this power delivery "take you somewhere". The only thing I could think to do to it would be to have Ron at RB-Designs dial in the cylinder head for you (set squish & compression).

Sorry - I have no experience with the efm (or rekluse).

jeff
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 PM

That power delivery is exactly what I'm looking for! I just sold a Husky CR 250 that was punishing me so this sounds great. I think he purchased it as it sits but before he had gotten used to the EFM he purchased the stock clutch kit so thats available too. I will look into RB-Designs as well, you've been a huge help Jeff. I was looking for an orange 300 and this one just pops up out of the blue, I've never rode either so this will all be new.

Thanks again,
John
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

It does have an oversized tank. I'm guessing 3.2-3.4 gallons. I remember seeing one of those before. I think it was made by a french company. It's not a IMS or Clarke tank. If I recall correctly, it was made of kelvar or something (see darker yellow color). This tank also had an aluminum threaded neck.

There doesn't appear to be a skid plate. But there are lots of upgrades that Jeff mentioned. Also, the top handlebar clamp looks upgraded, not sure of the brand though.

Another nice feature is the DID U-shaped rims. These rims are very strong and you can't find them anymore.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 PM

He does say "fiber" tank in description, Bar clamps look like BRP maybe, I remember the U shaped rims you dudes know your stuff, look forward to more. Will be checking it out in the morning. Happy trails!

Found another pic http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b7...Image_385_.jpg

John

Last edited by KicksonR66; 03-16-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: PIC
Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

I noticed the user name (LOweed) in the photobucket link. He was a member on Talking Smack, he may also be on here under a different name. I'm sure the bike has been kept in good condition. It would be definitely be worth checking out. The GasGas 300's are very nice bikes!

You didn't mention the asking price. The lower $2k range would be typical for this model year and upgrades. Good luck!

By the way, I noticed the carbon fiber pipe guard in the 2nd pic you posted. So add one more upgrade to that list.

EDIT: GMP reminded of the other thing I noticed in the 2nd pic. It does appear to have the taller BRP handlebar mounts. You should be all set for a taller rider like yourself.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Also looks like it has a tall seat and Fastway pegs. If so, matbe a tall rider owns it now. A BRP top clamp will give you a lot of options if its still too tight. Does look like the DID Dirt Star wheels but funny thing is they came in '03.

I'm not an autoclutch guy, but from an engineering perspective the Rekluse is a better design, because it has limited lock up force. The EFM does not and has caused trans problems in various bikes, especially if ridden on pavement or hard terrain. Also, the EFM has a special clutch basket, Rekluse uses stock. Is the stock part included? A new one is $430.

You should be able to get that bike for around $2K. Used GGs are a buyers market. Although the resale is worse than the big names, the durability and easy to rebuild nature make them one of the best if not the best used bike choices out there, IMO. My buddy who bought my '00 XC250 in '02 is just now in need of a clutch, beat that!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

LoWeed has had "bad" luck riding this bike.
The first week he got it, he broke his wrist (I think).
Last week he broke his collar bone.
LoWeed came off an Xr400, so the power of the 300 may have been too much.

This bike was a factory Gas Gas. The fuel tank is made by Pirie composite. They were $1,800 new!
The motor has been ported and the head modified.
It is a rip- snorting machine.
Can't go wrong for the price.