Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Riding in SW Colorado?

We are moving to SW Colorado soon and I am looking for any feedback on the riding / riding areas and any potential riding partners.

I don't want to make this sound like dating ad, but...I am a fairly "seasoned" rider (past my racing prime, but still pretty good on a bike) moving from upstate NY where I get out to trail ride fairly often. Also spent ten years in Central Oregon riding one of those orange machines.

I am hoping to find as vibrant of a riding scene in SW Colorado as there was in Central Oregon.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpuffydog View Post
We are moving to SW Colorado soon and I am looking for any feedback on the riding / riding areas and any potential riding partners.

I don't want to make this sound like dating ad, but...I am a fairly "seasoned" rider (past my racing prime, but still pretty good on a bike) moving from upstate NY where I get out to trail ride fairly often. Also spent ten years in Central Oregon riding one of those orange machines.

I am hoping to find as vibrant of a riding scene in SW Colorado as there was in Central Oregon.

Thanks,
Matthew
I live in Farmington New Mexico and spend at least 5-6 weekends in Southwest Colorado. A couple of resources are:

The San Juan Trail riders (http://www.sanjuantrailriders.org/). They like to hang out around Durango, Echo Basin, Dolores, Stoner Mesa, Rico, and Silverton. Their annual fundraiser ride is on Memorial Day weekend. They are all pretty talented guys/gals. Last year we did this great ride from Silverton, Pine Creek Trail, Lost Creek Trail, Lake City, Engineer pass and back. The trails are pretty epic. Unfortunately the winters are still kind of long.

If the winter gets too long then a lot of people from South West Colorado come down to Farmington or further south to Albuquerque. We have a thread on advrider.com (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673503) that we use to coordinate rides. The terrain in Farmington is high desert single-track. The trails are pretty fast and not too technical. There is a lot of great single track with sand wash patches.

I am usually the slowest in the group and ride a 2011 EC 300. There are usually groups going out both Saturday and Sunday year round.

Farmington has a gas gas/sherco/kawaski dealer and a Beta enduro dealer. Durango has KTM dealer and a husaberg dealer. If you want to shop for a husky then you have to make the trip to Albuquerque.

I will post some pictures of the area in subsequent posts.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM

This is a picture of the top of Pole Creek Trail. This trail was pretty tough. The trail was tighter than a gnat's ass with crops of rocks thrown in. There was a fair amount of creek crossings that were usually technical and complicated by the fact that, because of brush, you could not see the other side of the crossing. I only had the time to take one picture. Video to follow.

This is the start to Lost Creek trail. The first part was nice tight single track. The middle was rocky and technical. I think a few members of the group took dirt naps on the Lost Creek portion.

We finally made it to lunch.

Now that is how a motorbike gang parks.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Elevation profile.

Topo of the fun parts of the trail.

Annotated topo of the fun parts of the trail.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 PM

Default Sorry for the thread bomb

but I think you will be happy in the area.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Fast forward the first vid like 20 seconds.
http://youtu.be/u_5yEOFSt00

and

http://youtu.be/CKaNIkiNcoQ
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default That looks AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
but I think you will be happy in the area.
Thank you for your post and for the map with the notes added "Realized I was in over my head, but it was too late"...LMAO..."Decent so steep I accidentally sat on my balls"...funny, and yet I totally understand.

That trail looks and sounds like a ton of fun.

Do I need to get plated in order to enjoy the riding and how difficult is it to get a plate in CO?

Thanks again for all the replies.

I cant wait to get out there and ride,
Matthew
Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
I live in Farmington New Mexico and spend at least 5-6 weekends in Southwest Colorado. A couple of resources are:

The San Juan Trail riders (http://www.sanjuantrailriders.org/). They like to hang out around Durango, Echo Basin, Dolores, Stoner Mesa, Rico, and Silverton. Their annual fundraiser ride is on Memorial Day weekend. They are all pretty talented guys/gals. Last year we did this great ride from Silverton, Pine Creek Trail, Lost Creek Trail, Lake City, Engineer pass and back. The trails are pretty epic. Unfortunately the winters are still kind of long.

If the winter gets too long then a lot of people from South West Colorado come down to Farmington or further south to Albuquerque. We have a thread on advrider.com (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673503) that we use to coordinate rides. The terrain in Farmington is high desert single-track. The trails are pretty fast and not too technical. There is a lot of great single track with sand wash patches.

I am usually the slowest in the group and ride a 2011 EC 300. There are usually groups going out both Saturday and Sunday year round.

Farmington has a gas gas/sherco/kawaski dealer and a Beta enduro dealer. Durango has KTM dealer and a husaberg dealer. If you want to shop for a husky then you have to make the trip to Albuquerque.

I will post some pictures of the area in subsequent posts.
Thanks, Pappa J.
With the threat looming of the The Greater Canyonlands National Monument becoming a reality, this is good info for me as well. I'm just across the border from both of you and it's good to know there are still some places to ride (albeit a little further away).