Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM

GMP, you won't hear me scoff at 36:1!

As a matter fact I ran the 300 at 20:1 on Dominator for about 1.5K miles. Went to 28:1 then re-jetted and went to 32:1. There is absolutely no reason to go 40 or 50 to one unless you just enjoy doing bottom and top ends is the way I look at it. The pre-mix also helps keep the crank bearings alive too and I think many overlook that tidbit. I've never understood why fellows run so little oil when numerous studies and tests have shown over and over that properly jetted more oil always produces more power and in my opinion much longer engine (not just top end) life. That argument has been settled for years. And yet I still hear guys "brag" they run 100 or 50 to one. Then I ask how many times they have been through the motor. The answer is never "none" at 50 to 100 to one, if the bike is a year old or more.......next time you're around a bunch of guys take a survey of ratios and rebuilds......I mean needed not preventative rebuilds. Ask what the ratio was if/when they had a catastrophic failure of the top end. Do this long enough and you'll see a trend develop.

As a matter of fact last time at the forest a fellow asked how many hours on my 300 and if was holding up well. I told him I was unsure of the hours but I had about 4.8k miles and it had needed nothing yet. He seemed surprised. I simply said "oil at between 20 and 32 to one, never less".

Jakobi, you are correct....clean does not always equal "well maintained". I've changed the oil in the 450 8 times in 1.8k miles....filter every time too.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!