Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Default LTR Products

I had this written out and stored in my computer a while back, since then, some @-hole broke into my garage and ripped off my 2002 xc 200 (keep a lookout) but anyway, this is what I had previously written..........

I wanted to share my experience getting my 2002 gas gas XC 200 sorted out over the last few months. First off, I have been riding trials the last 5 years, and started doing more trail riding with some friends lately and decided I needed something with a seat. I purchased the XC 200 in December, in very poor condition, so I immediately tore the bike down and started over. I Sent out my WP forks to Les Tinious (LT racing) for a rebuild/re-valve for my weight, purchased lowering links for the rear, he suggested a different spring for the rear. I Purchased his jet kit, power valve cover, and a heavier flywheel to suit my riding style better. I had never ridden a 200 before so I really did not know what kind of bottom end, lugging power the 200 would have. Some things I read were not real encouraging. I got the bike all back together with all new plastics, and hoped it would run as good as it now looked. My friend and I loaded up the bikes and went out of town to ride for the weekend for its maiden voyage (spare bike on the trailer just in case!) after riding for a little while all I can say is WOW! This Bike rips! The suspension worked awesome and the bike performed great from the midrange on up, but a bit disappointing to a trials guy down low. back at the motel later that night I was thinking how very pleased overall I was with my new bikes performance, but wishing it had more grunt, and I was thinking maybe I was expecting a little too much from a 200. Back out on the trails the next morning I thought I would try to lower the clip a notch to richen the mixture a up a bit, just to see if I could get a little more low end. It was a different bike! Now when I crack open the throttle from down low it bogs and pulls, instead of bogs and slows down. I made a phone call to les and he suggested a richer pilot and return the clip to the center position. He mentioned the 200”s are very finicky on jetting. His kit came with a 45 pilot and eventually I settled on a 50. (This may surprise some people) I would guess there are some people that mistake that low end bog (and falling on its face) for a rich condition when jetting, when in fact the bike is running to lean off idle. With the 50 pilot and the Lt Needle w/ the clip in center groove, this bike makes power everywhere! I am very pleased with the way the bike performs .it grunts up hills at low revs, open the throttle and it revs cleanly and freely, I have never replaced a plug!. You can short shift it through the woods, never getting the motor- hard “on the pipe” making perfect traction and not until you start hammering on the brakes, do you realize you are FLY-I-I-I-NG ! With the suspension working properly and the power getting to the ground, the bike stays hooked up well and is s-o-o-o fast! In closing I would like to thank les in this forum for supplying great products, service and information. He was a pleasure to do business with and I am very pleased with how his expertise has transformed this bikes power range and the handling/suspension. I would urge anyone to contact les if you are not 100% satisfied with the performance of your bike, he is the man to talk to.
Paul Baker
02 gasgas 200 XC (stolen)
04 gasgas 280 pro
05 gasgas ec 250