Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Default Choices ?? Advice

I just purchased a 2006 EC and now the rest of the story. The title/VIN presented itself to be an EC300 (VTREC3000G016xxxxx). The guy told me it had "a 250 head", I, trying to stay in budget and having to drive a ways to get it decided to buy it anyway. It rode and ran nice, although even on the test ride I noticed the fairly good 'hit' it had, has a few mods and was in pretty good shape. It does have Ohlins on the rear and Zoke Shivers on the front. Obviously I was hoping for a 300 and all of it's grunt and 'electric power'. After getting home with it, it turns out to actually be a 250 ( I went by the stamped #s on the head stay mount-25G01). While I have not got ride it in the woods yet as weather has been miserable and holiday preps are running me ragged I have ???s
So now I have a choice, turn it into a 300 via cylinder swap etc or make it a tight woods, one track, rolling rock trail version 250. I'm looking for suggestions or ideas.
It has a FMF Fatty, should I get a Gnarly ? I find conflicting opinions, is the Gnarly a 'heavy wall' Fatty?, or a different powerband altogether ?
It has a V-Force Reed cage is that a help or hurt?
Will the head/carb mods 'mellow' it out, but not lose power.
Do the 300 & the 250 use the same carb?
The ignition is the 2K ?? version I think (wires at 11 o'clock) it does have the dual MAP switch but I can't tell if it works yet.
The guy was running Suzuki CCI pre mix oil at 40:1 and the silencer has a ring of YUCK at the back of it, also the powervalve cover drain tube?? has a drip of SPOOGE that is in the truck bed. I think the Zukie oil needs to go but not being in this for a while I would like suggestions. I used to use Golden Spectro back in 98 but technology and synthetics may have passed Spectro up. Suggestions ??
I found the link to the 'sidestand fix' I need it badly !! :-)

Thanks in advance for all help, I've been lurking and learning but now it's time to ride........ Fred