Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Suspension experts please help

Ok so I took off the Sachs front and rear and put on Ohlins TTX about 2 month's ago and have been fighting them the whole time. To be honest I really didn't hate the Sachs stuff but I have a friend that owed me some money and I ended up with this ttx stuff. Now I have been riding all my life and I'm a semi fast 50+b rider usually in the top 5. I have had plenty of bike's revalved but I never can explain whats wrong with the suspension. I know if it's harsh, I know if it's deflecting, and so on but don't know how to explain that to a tuner.

So here is what I feel.
The forks were sent with 48 springs (I had 44 in my Sachs) and the forks felt way to stiff. Riding down a dirt road lets say it felt like super-cross forks little bump felt like big bumps or like holding onto a jack hammer, but then going through whoops or hitting a big log the forks would soak up the big hits like they weren't even there. My practice trail has been logged a few years ago and has some 4-6" high stumps coming out of the ground and I can smash into them and hardly even feel them. Now here is the big problem, the bike that used to turn like it was on rails no longer turns, and not only will it not stick into a berm but it feels like the front wheel is on ice. I road the national Sunday and spent half of the day with my feet flailing trying to keep from falling, and the other half pulling over in the middle of a test and turning clicker's to no avail. It had some of the nicest trail I have ever seen and at the halfway point I wanted to quite because the bike was beating the crap out of me.I am frustrated to say the least. I called Ohlins yesterday and they told me Cole had to have a little compression taken out, and I'm thinking if he needed a little what the heck do I need.

So here is my question.

What do I tell the tuner at Ohlins to do for me? Right now I have the 44 springs in I hate the way the bike rides. I was told yesterday to put my forks in the stock position with the clickers at the recommended setting and see how it feels. Feels stiff to me I mounted my camera on the forks to see what they were doing but it's hard to tell. The forks were moving but it looks like in the middle of the stroke it stops. At the enduro I bottomed only once and it was a big g out with a log in the middle so I'm pretty sure anything would have bottomed. What would cause the bike not to turn? Again yesterday on the trail I went into a berm and the front end flew up over the berm and down I went.

The bottom line is it beats me up (front and rear) feels like im holding onto jack hammers and the bike is all over the place. I'm considering going back to the Sachs stuff but I want to give Ohlins a shot at getting this to work for me, but I dont know what to tell them I need. I have gone back and forth with the springs 48, one 48 on 44, 44"s seem to work better. Any help in telling me how to explain this would be very helpful and appreciated.