Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies folks, really is much appreciated.

Today I loaded my bike into the back of my pickup and took it to ride with some friends at a turn track. Awesome if very tough morning

I put 2 ratchet straps from the bars to attachment points at the front (cab end) of the bed. Unfortunately the bed isn't long enough to close the tailgate with the bike in straight. I need to work out a strapping attachment points for putting the bike diagonally
I've formed an opinion on blocking the forks.

It's not about stress on the seals or any of that kind of stuff, it's about removing dynamic forces from the equation

While driving today with the bike in the bed I was able to watch it. When going over a speed bump or similar I could see the suspension compress just like it would if riding it. This causes the straps to go loose during the compression. This could cause wear at the strapping points (I had hooks onto the bars, not a perfect solution and one I will improve) or worse the hook could jump off (I had this happen once on my CBR600 while trailering it).

My thought is that by blocking the forks means they become static and therefore can't compress/bounce so reducing wear at the attachment points and significantly reducing the chance of a attachment point becoming unattached

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-18-2014, 02:32 PM

You're Welcome!

Who knew there would be so much arguing over how to secure a bike, right!?

I really like those soft tie ProTaper straps (or similar) with the spinner carabiner, solves most of the issues you are referring to.

Have seen blocking the fork...have those go flying out if they aren't secured in there properly thus loosing the bike. Had a bud who swears by those things flip his bike off the trailer and drag it for a bit. Brand new plastics and graphics too... ha ha!

I don't run the fork blocks...yawl can judge me if you will.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

There are many different ways to haul/load bikes. There is no single correct way of doing so.
Here is a couple of ways that I do it and the type of "chocks" that I use when hauling both my gassers in the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (67.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2(1).jpg (64.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (66.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM

This is crazy... I have decided I am just going to lie my bike down in the back of truck from now on!!!!
;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
Today I loaded my bike into the back of my pickup and took it to ride with some friends at a turn track. Awesome if very tough morning
Slight thread-jack...but that reply begs some pictures and a ride report posted in the correct sub-forum

And Stu...LOL.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
This is crazy... I have decided I am just going to lie my bike down in the back of truck from now on!!!!
;-)
LOL ... maybe upside down on the handlebars/rear fender will work best. Should make it easier to clean and lube the shock linkage!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks, really is much appreciated.

I put 2 ratchet straps from the bars to attachment points at the front (cab end) of the bed. Unfortunately the bed isn't long enough to close the tailgate with the bike in straight. I need to work out a strapping attachment points for putting the bike diagonally
I've formed an opinion on blocking the forks.

It's not about stress on the seals or any of that kind of stuff, it's about removing dynamic forces from the equation

While driving today with the bike in the bed I was able to watch it. When going over a speed bump or similar I could see the suspension compress just like it would if riding it. This causes the straps to go loose during the compression. This could cause wear at the strapping points (I had hooks onto the bars, not a perfect solution and one I will improve) or worse the hook could jump off (I had this happen once on my CBR600 while trailering it).

My thought is that by blocking the forks means they become static and therefore can't compress/bounce so reducing wear at the attachment points and significantly reducing the chance of a attachment point becoming unattached

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If your bike suspension was compressing in the back of the truck by going over speed bump, then you didn't preload it enough.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking along those lines. I thought jetting & premix ratios threads were controversial...
Old 04-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Tucker Rocky loves these guys!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
I was thinking along those lines. I thought jetting & premix ratios threads were controversial...
Supposed to soak your tie-downs in Rotella first, right?

Keeps them from dry rotting...