Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Put some time on it and let the carb break in before you go chasing lower throttle and idle issues. The metering rod and nozzle will lap themselves in to a certain extent.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Allright guys, got a bit of a challenge here.

I rode the bike for the first time on Saturday, and the carb felt great. No issues, just seemed to rip.

Well, I forgot to close the petcock after the ride... Monday morning I went out to get ready to ride again, and there was a TON of fuel on the ground. I lost over a gallon of fuel!!

It was, of course, tremendously difficult to start and blew a bunch of fuel out of the tail pipe.

I went riding, and had to close the petcock each time I turned the bike off, or I would have a horrible time starting it again.

It ran poorly, of course, very boggy. I need to pull the collector and pipe off and dump the rest of the fuel out.

I am guessing the float was not set properly from the factory, allowing all that fuel to pass through the carb into the cylinder, and into the pipe??

Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the floats may have stuck. Did you set the float level before installing? Its the first thing to do with any carb, and apt specifically indicates to do this as they may move during transit.

Anyway, let the journey begin. I'll set the stopwatch
Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Sounds like the floats may have stuck. Did you set the float level before installing? Its the first thing to do with any carb, and apt specifically indicates to do this as they may move during transit.

Anyway, let the journey begin. I'll set the stopwatch
I did not set the float. Never done that before.

Don't hold your breath on me, I am a newbie!

I loved how it felt on Saturday. I hope to replicate that!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post
Allright guys, got a bit of a challenge here.

I rode the bike for the first time on Saturday, and the carb felt great. No issues, just seemed to rip.

Well, I forgot to close the petcock after the ride... Monday morning I went out to get ready to ride again, and there was a TON of fuel on the ground. I lost over a gallon of fuel!!

It was, of course, tremendously difficult to start and blew a bunch of fuel out of the tail pipe.

I went riding, and had to close the petcock each time I turned the bike off, or I would have a horrible time starting it again.

It ran poorly, of course, very boggy. I need to pull the collector and pipe off and dump the rest of the fuel out.

I am guessing the float was not set properly from the factory, allowing all that fuel to pass through the carb into the cylinder, and into the pipe??

I have had the same issue cause DNF between races. That and hard starting between rides means it sits in the shed and the original carb back in.

Maybe some day i will get back to it but in the meantime if anyone in Aus want to try they are more than welcome.

I could not get it to run properly on the TM 125. On the 300 once running it was OK.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I have had the same issue cause DNF between races. That and hard starting between rides means it sits in the shed and the original carb back in.

Maybe some day i will get back to it but in the meantime if anyone in Aus want to try they are more than welcome.

I could not get it to run properly on the TM 125. On the 300 once running it was OK.
Seems your APT Smart Carb has proven about as useful as mine. Also gathering dust somewhere. Most expensive paperweight I've ever owned.

Many other owners are reporting no issues, so not all hope is lost, but for me - no more time wasted chasing silly issues when I can get a stock carb running just as well in less time.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:24 PM

I've read every single bloody post as well jake and am sticking with my trusty keihn, gone down the lectern road too and i am glad others have had good fortune but mine not so much. keep in mind we are too of the same, ill spend countless hours and days trying to sort things because i love to fiddle but in this case if i don't have direct injection give me a kehin
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Can someone give me a quick run down on adjusting the float? I am pulling the carb off in a couple of hours.

My problem was it dumping fuel into the cylinder.

Also, it feels like it is now really rich. I have about 6 hours of ride time on the carb, does that sound like enough break in time to start adjusting the clicker up top?

And any guesses how many clicks from full rich as a baseline? I intend to count clicks to full rich from where I am at, but I left it stock as it was in the box.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Its all been covered before, somewhere. My advice/suggestion would be sit and have a really good read of the owners manual/documentation that came with the carb, and then give APT a call and seek clarification on anything you haven't quite understood.

My experiences were that they are extremely helpful in offering parts and advice and want the best result for the user.. but in the end I never found much more than glimpses of its potential. End result being it ran nothing like it was claimed too - but was on par with an average pwk tune.