Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Default How do get the front axle out?

I have a xc 250, and for the past day now my father and I have tried to figure out and we just cant figure it out to the point where we removed the forks and tire from the triple clamp all together.

The none brake side fork came out btw.

Thanks liam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141129_145743.jpg (126.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141129_145733.jpg (125.5 KB, 39 views)

Old 11-29-2014, 05:59 PM

you have loosened the pinch bolts, and taken the nut off the end of the axle?

The nut is still on in the pic

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 11-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
you have loosened the pinch bolts, and taken the nut off the end of the axle?

The nut is still on in the pic
all the pinch bolts where loose and the axle was spinning freely
Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

In the 2nd pic it appears you removed the fork and that lug slid off the axle easily.

As above. You still have the nut on the end - I assume you're aware it needs to be removed to allow the axle to pull through. Generally for removal, I loosen the pinch bolts on the brake side, then undo the nut a few turns. Loosen pinch bolts on the other side and then use a rubber mallet on the nut which pushes it through a bit. Unthread the nut some more and tap again. If everything is floating it should move across easily enough.

If the lugs are still biting you can try and spread them a bit to help. Generally not required.

Key with axles. Keep them lubricated in a heavy oil/light grease and do it frequently.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
In the 2nd pic it appears you removed the fork and that lug slid off the axle easily.

As above. You still have the nut on the end - I assume you're aware it needs to be removed to allow the axle to pull through. Generally for removal, I loosen the pinch bolts on the brake side, then undo the nut a few turns. Loosen pinch bolts on the other side and then use a rubber mallet on the nut which pushes it through a bit. Unthread the nut some more and tap again. If everything is floating it should move across easily enough.

If the lugs are still biting you can try and spread them a bit to help. Generally not required.

Key with axles. Keep them lubricated in a heavy oil/light grease and do it frequently.
all we did is loosen the bolts on the clamps and when the forks came out of the triple clamp the right side fork just slid off. if the nut you are talking about at the end of the axle when we try to turn it the axle just spins. lastly the axle was open ended like here: http://www.gasgasmotos.es/image/moto...2t_2011_03.jpg

thanks
Old 11-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

So just clarifying? You haven't been able to undo the nut on the brake calliper side yet because the axle just spins? You need to have the other fork installed, and those pinch bolts done up. This will hold the axle while you undo the nut. Once its removed, then loosen the pinch bolts and it will slide out. If it doesn't slide easily use the method I described previously to gently tap it out.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
So just clarifying? You haven't been able to undo the nut on the brake calliper side yet because the axle just spins? You need to have the other fork installed, and those pinch bolts done up. This will hold the axle while you undo the nut. Once its removed, then loosen the pinch bolts and it will slide out. If it doesn't slide easily use the method I described previously to gently tap it out.
ok so just to recap, i need to put the non brake side in tighten it but NOT the brake side and then i can undo it?

Thanks a bunch this is the first bike i or my dad have ever seen like this and we just did not know what to do. thanks a bunch!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Spot on. Clamp on the opposite side to hold the axle. Loosen side with the nut so its not loading the threads up. Undo the nut. Then loosen other side to slide axle out. It will pull out from the side opposite the nut.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Also, just be aware when putting the fork back on, you only need 10-12Nm on the lower triple clamps. Too much and you'll have issues with fork wear.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Also, just be aware when putting the fork back on, you only need 10-12Nm on the lower triple clamps. Too much and you'll have issues with fork wear.
yeah, we bought the bike pre-owned and all the bolts where seized so when tried to remove them they just striped so my dad had to drill them out. drill bit broke almost cause permanent damage to left hand did cause 3 stitches and trip to the ER... never again