Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 AM

Not trying to be combative at all so sorry Doc. However, I do disagree. Your original question asked...

Quote:
Please let me know how you understand "heat cycling" and how you heat cycle a new or overhauled engine.
What I and gasgasman replied was relevant to the discussion. I explained how I understood heat cycling after my 30+ years of building car and motorcycle engines and to what extent I do heat cycle and he agreed and said why. Of course, heat cycling an engine surely won't hurt anything!

Also, it is here as reference for future members who search about heat cycling. The discussion can be useful showing all points including those that say it is completely unnecessary. Remember, keep an open mind! <cough>ATF<cough>

'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220

Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 AM

I heat cycle my car engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJA79l0GWs
Old 09-10-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent View Post
Nice!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
That's nice but I see no heat

I'd say I see more heat here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieVDfnUKN9s
Old 09-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Um, that's kinda like saying I'm not sure if Homeopathy is effective but I want to know if I need to bang the dilution on a horsehair paddle to invoke the water memory.
I could give an exhausting answer, but sorry don't feel like it. For me it's not a question if it makes sense or not, I was interested how others do it.

Is it allowed to assume that if others do it, they think it makes sense?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
Not trying to be combative at all so sorry Doc. However, I do disagree. Your original question asked...

What I and gasgasman replied was relevant to the discussion. I explained how I understood heat cycling after my 30+ years of building car and motorcycle engines and to what extent I do heat cycle and he agreed and said why. Of course, heat cycling an engine surely won't hurt anything!

Also, it is here as reference for future members who search about heat cycling. The discussion can be useful showing all points including those that say it is completely unnecessary. Remember, keep an open mind! <cough>ATF<cough>
If you took my answer down the wrong pipe, sorry. Wasn't my intention to annoy you.
Maybe it makes you happy that I work on engines since 40+ years, started at the age of 15 and spent a lot of time with somebody working as tribology expert in the oil and automotive industry. Unfortunately my English isn't good enough to explain some scientific aspects, especially molecular structures and how they change in a heat, cool, heat cycle versus the materials they inevitably touch or get in contact with. Especially in two stroke engines with their rather old-fashioned pistons.

I accept all opinions and if you say it's completely unnecessary that is perfectly fine for me.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
If you took my answer down the wrong pipe, sorry. Wasn't my intention to annoy you.
Maybe it makes you happy that I work on engines since 40+ years, started at the age of 15 and spent a lot of time with somebody working as tribology expert in the oil and automotive industry. Unfortunately my English isn't good enough to explain some scientific aspects, especially molecular structures and how they change in a heat, cool, heat cycle versus the materials they inevitably touch or get in contact with. Especially in two stroke engines with their rather old-fashioned pistons.

I accept all opinions and if you say it's completely unnecessary that is perfectly fine for me.
Sorry Doc. Wasn't trying to upset you or anyone else. I think maybe a little was lost in how I worded things. That said, we cool!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 09-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eWHNSaSZU pSSST!!! the barra!

What do you think on the matter Doc?

I like to keep things simple..

Buy quality parts, measure tolerances on assembly, throw it together.
Run to test for leaks, etc. Short test ride using some load on acceleration and deceleration to start bedding rings, and then ride it as per normal.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eWHNSaSZU pSSST!!! the barra!

What do you think on the matter Doc?

I like to keep things simple..

Buy quality parts, measure tolerances on assembly, throw it together.
Run to test for leaks, etc. Short test ride using some load on acceleration and deceleration to start bedding rings, and then ride it as per normal.
^^^Is that yours?

I have a customer I deliver to had a Barra in his ute making around 1200hp, he pulled it last year and built a new one not quite so slow(allegedly)

He hasn't dyno'd it yet though.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
^^^Is that yours?

I have a customer I deliver to had a Barra in his ute making around 1200hp, he pulled it last year and built a new one not quite so slow(allegedly)

He hasn't dyno'd it yet though.
I have a Barra 245T.. 2005 model running the stock single Garrett GT35/40r turbo. Conrods were the weak link until 06 where they beefed them up after a couple reports of people bending them.

I've kept mine stock as a rock as it's my daily drive and I don't have the coin to spare (not only tuning but also maintaining).. Relatively easy to get some decent figures with a fuel pump, injectors, valve springs, cat convertor, intercooler and a tune.. but most people then overlook the added wear and tear on the drivetrain. Especially if the tune is more on the aggressive side or the driver lacks mechanical sympathy.

I think if I were going to do one up, I'd probably look at buying HP tuners, throwing in a couple of sensors and tuning it myself. Shame they've stopped building the falcons here