Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

So KTM takes ownership, everyone’s scared KTM will kill the brand, nobody buys a GG because they’re scared of being stuck with an obsolete bike, KTM doesn’t make money, they dump the brand all together, GG dies. It’s such a shame. I’ve been such a huge fan of these bikes and invested so much time and money I to the brand. The uncertainty will prevent me from ever buying another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

https://www.motomandistributing.com/swm-rs-300-r

SWM looks pretty cool!
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 PM

I have liked Gasgas since 2005. Test rode 2013 not impressed. aT MID OHIO I got to ride the 2017 vs the 2018 ggec300 and WOW the 2018, that is a great bike. I had hoped to buy a used one next year as many move to the 2020.

NOW??? Saying that, I WILL NOT!!! WILL NOT!! But a KTM Period. I don't want to be a sheep and follow I want something different that still will perform.

after going to the Columbus bike show if GG dies it will be Beta. They will let you customize your bike from the factory, bark busters, lowered, suspension etc before you pick it up at the dealership. Long live Gasgas but red is what I will ride
Old 10-01-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
It seems obvious to me. Think about it, what's the only type of motorbike in the world that KTM doesn't already have a very strong place in the market?

Answer: trials bikes.

Acquiring GG (I know, they didn't technically acquire them, but at 60% ownership, they may as well have) allows them to jump straight to the front of the line with very competitive trials models, with lots of history and expertise. A little tweaking of a few technical details, manufacturing processes, and management practices, plus some of the KTM mothership's marketing budget to promote them more, and they'll be seeing an ROI on this deal in a hurry. 100% business decision.

That's what this is about. Which isn't entirely a bad thing. We will almost certainly see strong, competitive, updated trials bikes for the foreseeable future. While some of us certainly won't care for them being tainted with orange blood, it looks like this was better than the alternative of closing up shop forever.

The big downside I see in this is that the enduro line won't likely survive. Husaberg brought a lot of technology to the table to a young, unknown KTM. Husqvarna brought fantastic name recognition, and a great opportunity for KTM (now well established) to brand and up-sell a "premium" bike. GasGas enduro brings nothing of this sort to the table, and if they're not able to differentiate it substantially (not from a technical standpoint, but from a sales standpoint), then they'll kill it.

The only way I could see it working, is that if Husqvarna is the premium brand, GasGas could be the budget brand that competes with the Japanese bikes' price points (or maybe the other cheaper Euro bikes). That said, they'd have a veeeeery fine line to walk to avoid cannibalizing the sales of their higher priced (and higher margin) orange and white bikes. While I as a consumer would love to see a model lineup like this, I doubt seriously they'd actually do it.

Either way, I wish all at GasGas the best of luck, and certainly hope to see them prosper over the coming years in this new relationship.
3 'different' brands means 3 lots of advertising, 3 lots of separate dealers & 3 lots of 'R&D'(haha)/race teams/sponsored riders. Can't see it happening.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
So KTM takes ownership, everyone’s scared KTM will kill the brand, nobody buys a GG because they’re scared of being stuck with an obsolete bike, KTM doesn’t make money, they dump the brand all together, GG dies. It’s such a shame. I’ve been such a huge fan of these bikes and invested so much time and money I to the brand. The uncertainty will prevent me from ever buying another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the way it is or will be...
I ride gasgas since 2005 and I am very happy with them. I am not sure what to do now. I was thinking of buying a GP this fall but honestly right now I am not sure if I should. How about the parts availability when gasgas is orange?!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2019, 02:37 AM

The question is if the trials market justifies the capital invested.
Shut down the enduro line, there goes brand loyalty and you instantly convert former GG owners to Beta/Sherco prospects
Kill the brand, that's money down the drain. Invest in an electric bike know how makes sense but again that's Torrot.

Circles
Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 AM

I doubt if the starting situation on the newer bikes has helped sales, which has lead to where we are now.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

https://enduro21.com/index.php/40-ge...at-s-the-story
Old 10-02-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
3 'different' brands means 3 lots of advertising, 3 lots of separate dealers & 3 lots of 'R&D'(haha)/race teams/sponsored riders. Can't see it happening.
I agree entirely. I see it as extremely unlikely, but I don't see the enduro line surviving any other way. If it's just presented as an equivalent option, but red in color, there's no way they'll keep it.

That said, there's plenty of successful examples in the automotive world with several different tiers of brands. Maybe KTM is shooting to be the first to make it work in the dirt bike world.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Maybe closing a factory in Spain isn't that easy..... Remember, government put their money there too. I belive something will have to be made there.

KTM eliminated the biggest competitor in trials. Now they have a trusted bike and the know how.

The only off road electric (non toy) procuct is the TXTe. (trials again) Good bike with clutch and gears. World champion twice. Will KTM enter urban mobility market with Torrot? Not shure if they sell well or are profitable.

Time will tell. I belive they will let EC die when new euro 5 hit market. Spain factories will make anything else. Trials can benefit from hudge KTM/Red Bull marketing and fan base.

Even not beeing a huge market. Trial is where all those competitors born and grow up with better bikes than those they make
Brasil!