Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Air Screw adjustment No Effect

Hello- I have a 2013 GasGas 200. Recently noticed low power at low speeds climbing or going up switchbacks. I started trying adjustments. I noticed when I turn the air screw in or out it does not change the idle at all. Does that suggest I have the wrong pilot size? Currently has a 38 pilot it in? Any suggestions of things I can check? Thanks.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yes. Suggest you read the jetting threads. I put an LTR needle in my 200 and it made a huge difference. But that was ages back not available now.

Stock needle is rubbish. People are dumbfounded that the needle can make such a difference.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 10-23-2019, 02:46 AM

If it ran good before, but now has less low end power, I'd think there's a mechanical problem.

When I bought my XC 200 used, it ran poorly at low rpm's, sort of like a high strung 125 mx'er. Air screw made no difference. I went up one size on the pilot and it ran much better. Now I could fine tune the idle with the air screw. Bottom end power was very good, for a 200.

Not too many hours of riding time later, the engine seized up after a hard hill climb requiring high rpm's. long story made short(er). the left side crank bearing let go, thankfully nothing else was damaged.

I believe the crank bearing was going bad when I bought the bike. The crank bearing was allowing the crank to move a little and allowing the left side crank seal to leak, causing the lean condition that I thought i had fixed by going up (richer) on the pilot jet.

Not saying that's your problem but it is something to consider, imo.

RB
Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 AM

The low power at low speeds issue might be debris in the pilot circuit, something to check if it's a new issue.
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 10-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Thank you for the replys. I should clarify and say it may not be a new issues. I bought last year rode it only once and didn't notice anything off. I really didn't right it on terrain that required me to lug it up around technical stuff. My brother rode it in Moab that year and mentioned it seemed like it needed to be geared down. Thought it lacked low end lug ability. I went ahead and put a bigger rear sprocket on it. Since then I have rode it on some more difficult trails and it really struggles to lug down low unless I fan the clutch and really push the RPM's high. Thats when I started tinkering with the air screw and noticed that turning it in our out made no difference in idle going up or down or killing the bike. It has a 38 pilot it in it. I will check it to see if it is plugged. With the symptom of no response with turning the air screw in or out would you start by going up or down with the pilot jet size or moving the needle clip up or down? Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:20 PM

I'd replace the needle.

Previous owner had gone down to a 38 pilot I think but new needle I needed considerably bigger pilot. It because it's too skinny when closed so you get fat wet drops coming through instead of a more controlled spray from pilot which can now be bigger.

Always think of jetting on slide type carb by throttle position not revs.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 10-24-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennemw View Post
Thank you for the replys. I should clarify and say it may not be a new issues. I bought last year rode it only once and didn't notice anything off. I really didn't right it on terrain that required me to lug it up around technical stuff. My brother rode it in Moab that year and mentioned it seemed like it needed to be geared down. Thought it lacked low end lug ability. I went ahead and put a bigger rear sprocket on it. Since then I have rode it on some more difficult trails and it really struggles to lug down low unless I fan the clutch and really push the RPM's high. Thats when I started tinkering with the air screw and noticed that turning it in our out made no difference in idle going up or down or killing the bike. It has a 38 pilot it in it. I will check it to see if it is plugged. With the symptom of no response with turning the air screw in or out would you start by going up or down with the pilot jet size or moving the needle clip up or down? Thanks again.
I'd try a 40 if I were you. Cost is minimal and it won't hurt anything. If it doesn't help then just go back to a 38. Might help to look at the intake reeds to make sure they're in good condition too. Just for reference, I'm running a #42 in my older 200. I live at 3400' (in the summer), but ride at sea level and up to 5000 above and it runs fine. No need for changes once it's dialed in.

Is yours a XC or EC? My XC has a lighter flywheel for quicker revs but not as smooth on bottom end. I added a Checkpoint Racing 12 oz fww to my bike which seems to really help my bottom end in the hills and tight woods.

RB
Old 10-24-2019, 01:51 PM

Reducing the squish and correcting the volume back helps low end.

But getting rid of the burble , well, I'll let you guess as I've said it twice.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
Old 10-24-2019, 04:01 PM

Hey it is only a 200! Lol
But heres a good starting point,
pilot 40,main 175,suzuki needle NECH #3,0-500m NZ
Needles are $20
NEDH will give you a half clip leaner (#2) or richer (#3) if your altitude/humidity is different
Old 10-24-2019, 04:10 PM

(As mentioned and as usual,its probably the stock needle! 😂again!,but a 38pilot is easily obstructed also,go with a 40/42 but do check/change that needle also as a 40/42 will be worse for burble with the stock NOZH/N1EH)