Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Bump..........

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick790 View Post
Thanks Twowheels
I agree 2.25 would work better, but my shim stack compresses directly to the ally housing, which is about 16mmOD, not sure if you can see that in the pic clearly? What is the diameter of the 2.25mm pedestal that the shim stack sits on?
Thanks for your help, I feel like i'm almost there!!!

Have a good easter
Nick: Sorry, I must have dozed off (the twins are just over a year now, and regular sleep is but a memory).

The 2.25mm post is 7.9mm in diameter. This would be considered the pivot shim for the stack, since the 12mm above it is only 0.20mm thick.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Nick: Sorry, I must have dozed off (the twins are just over a year now, and regular sleep is but a memory).

The 2.25mm post is 7.9mm in diameter. This would be considered the pivot shim for the stack, since the 12mm above it is only 0.20mm thick.
Perfect, thanks Twowheels that makes allot of sense.
I'll reinstate that so it all has a bit more room to move.
Should soften it up a bit.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Will it do any harm to remove my forks, turn them upside down (invert them) Buzz out my comp valve, make changes, buzz them back in and re-fit?

Didn't know if the oil would need bleeding or it would mess something up?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'm going to be very honest with you....there is little you can do without a
re-valve.
The valving on the marz and sachs stuff is way off base.
I re-valved and re-sprung my stuff and it's worlds better, I still need to stiffen up the H/S rebound a little more but it's close.
Now,
A friend I ride with sent his stuff to Les at LT Racing and was very happy with the results, customer service and cost.
If you can't DIY, pony up the money and send it out....otherwise you'll be wasting your time, become more frustrated and you'll miss out on how good the EC can be with suspension that works!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I'm going to be very honest with you....there is little you can do without a
re-valve.
The valving on the marz and sachs stuff is way off base.
I re-valved and re-sprung my stuff and it's worlds better, I still need to stiffen up the H/S rebound a little more but it's close.
Now,
A friend I ride with sent his stuff to Les at LT Racing and was very happy with the results, customer service and cost.
If you can't DIY, pony up the money and send it out....otherwise you'll be wasting your time, become more frustrated and you'll miss out on how good the EC can be with suspension that works!
??????
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Nick: Sending your suspension to the guru on the mountain would seem to be out of the question, given that you live half the world away, so maybe we can use the power of the WORLD WIDE WEB to get those 'zokes working to your satisfaction.
Assuming that you know one end of a spanner from another and that you're up for a little bit of a science project, we should be able to do this long-distance. Consider it robotic surgery where the patient is in one place and the supervising surgeon is in another.
Grab your scalpel ... and pm me.

Steve
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Nick: Sending your suspension to the guru on the mountain would seem to be out of the question, given that you live half the world away, so maybe we can use the power of the WORLD WIDE WEB to get those 'zokes working to your satisfaction.
Assuming that you know one end of a spanner from another and that you're up for a little bit of a science project, we should be able to do this long-distance. Consider it robotic surgery where the patient is in one place and the supervising surgeon is in another.
Grab your scalpel ... and pm me.

Steve
Sorry, I missed your local...OK,,, call Les at LT Racing and see if he'll help you considering you a world away.
Or mabye he'll sell you a build sheet and some shims at a reduced cost.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm almost there, been messing with my forks for nearly a year now, slowly been making improvements and learning the black art of suspension tuning.

I'm a ex automotive race tech, and now I work in hydraulic engineering, so this has been a fun project, my biggest problem is time to test. I do most my testing twice a month at events, so it's not ideal. But like I say, It's all about fun.

I have two last things I would like to improve on, first is the high speed damping is a little harsh, and second is the my comp adjuster is nearly all the way out.

I'm going to replace the 2.25 pivot shim at the base of the stack, I think (and i'm hoping) that this will improve both of my issues.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick790 View Post
I'm almost there, been messing with my forks for nearly a year now, slowly been making improvements and learning the black art of suspension tuning.

I'm a ex automotive race tech, and now I work in hydraulic engineering, so this has been a fun project, my biggest problem is time to test. I do most my testing twice a month at events, so it's not ideal. But like I say, It's all about fun.

I have two last things I would like to improve on, first is the high speed damping is a little harsh, and second is the my comp adjuster is nearly all the way out.

I'm going to replace the 2.25 pivot shim at the base of the stack, I think (and i'm hoping) that this will improve both of my issues.
Don't ignore the mid-valve...a lot of magic can be massaged out of it
I set the float at 1.5 mm but also used a light (10) face shim.
And while your at it, think about the rebound stack... I had to stiffen up mine quite a bit to cancel out the pogo effect.
I need to go even stiffer on the fork's H/S reb