Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

I've owned three different GG 250s and have had both ignitions. At one time I had both ignitions set up so I could quickly swap them. I settled on the lighter 2K-2 with a 14 oz weight, along with a G2 throttle and #200 cam. I also have several weights and will sometimes swap a 10 oz in for a sandy course. I thought the 2K-3 was way too heavy on the 250, but may be more suited to a hard running 300. The 2K-2 with the 14 oz is approx half the inertia of the 2K-3. This works for me and I ride some pretty nasty terrain. You cant compare just weight between the two as the 2K-3 is larger in dia. and has a big effect on overall inertia.

Most US riders and dealers prefered the lighter 2K-2, and that was one key difference in the DE or "Dealer Edition" bikes, actually a request by US dealers.

With the 2K-2, a couple weights, and a G2 throttle, you have a lot of tuning possibilities.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 AM

very interesting, exactly what i wanted to know thanks!!! strange that canada gets all 2k3 igintions then without an option. i really liked the 250 sixdays though it bogs pretty low for what kind of bike i thought it would be.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
That sums up the way I look at it too. It is very difficult to gain flywheel effect from adding a weight when you only have the small flywheel to begin with. Diameter is more significant than weight. The larger EC flywheel is much better for general trail riding.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

For a solid cylinder.
Moment of Inertia = 1/2 * mass * radius^2

This has been a very interesting thread. Hope the bikes sell well.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 PM

I've ridden 250s with both ignition setups. My personal preference is for the 2k-3. I don't find I lose much in the open stuff, but the heavier flywheel makes a huge difference in the technical terrain.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My first two 300s had 2k-3's My current has the 2K- 2.
I wouldn't want it any other way now on a 300.

The 2K- 2 alows the 300 RPM's to ramp up quicker, more like the 250 but still get the benefit of the low RPM torque and lugability of the 300. For trail riders this may not be the best set up, but for racing or aggressive riders it is the way to go on the 300 IMHO.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM

ya i read the review for the 2010 gasgas six days and the a level rider said it was definetly not for the timid with the light ignition and unless you are an A level rider recommend against buying this edition because it needs to be ridden hard to truly shine. after riding my buddies i totally disagreed but then found out the ignition was heavier, i luv that bike just the way it is, its what made me switch to a 2-stroke from a 4 and choose gasgas!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM

I have owned both set-ups and I prefer the 2K2 no questions. The heavier FWW makes the 250 feel like a dog.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Like many things this is a personal preferance, there is no right/wrong answer. Just don't take that review to heart as the 250 is very smooth even with the 2K-2. I ride in some very technical terrain like ledges, rock gardens, steep climbs, and off camber rock slabs, and never wish for more flywheel. The bike doesn't stall and I have plenty of snap to wheelie over stuff and launch out of turns, where my 2k-3 equiped bike was more sluggish and needed more clutch.

You can always switch ignitions to experiment, the cases accept both and the CDI is compatible. Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, they show up. I have found one of each, last I traded a 2K-3 for a spare 2K-2.

I have not yet verified it but I suspect some of the KTM Kokousan 2K-2s will work. They are electrically the same and the backing plates look VERY similar. Crank taper/keyway timing is the question, I have to compare my spare to the one on my friends KTM300.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You can always switch ignitions to experiment, the cases accept both and the CDI is compatible.
Flywheel weight is definitely personal preference. I have no problem buying a bike with the 2K2 as long as the 2K3 can be fitted without modifications. This is what I really need to know for the 2011 models since there may be changes due to the estart.