Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Considering a GAS GAS

Hey all im looking at getting back into bikes after 8 years away. My last bike was a honda xr400, bit of a tank but it did the job ok.
Anyhow im considering a gas gas, ive heard nothing but good things from everyone that owns one so they have jumped up to the top of my list. Ive been looking at a 06 450fse that one of the guys at work is selling but he is a lot smaller than i am. I was just wanting to know if there are any larger riders out there that have the same bike and what sort of mods (ie suspension) i would have to do to make it more suited to myself. im 6'4'' and 120kgs (260lbs)
Thanks for your time guys

Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 AM

This sounds familiar haha. One of my mum's brothers went from an 01 Honda XR400 to an 06 GasGas FSE450. He is on the smaller side too.

You would probably benefit from some firmer spring rates and a re-valve.

I dont know much about suspension but the '06 450 is a good bike in my opinion. Its got a pretty powerful bottom end but if your good on the throttle it works well. It pulls all the way through the rev range. The brakes are great too, the speeds this uncle of mine rides at yet manages to wash of enough to get through the corners...

You probably now all this as its your friends bike though. If you havent ridden it ever i suggest you ask him for a try before you buy it just to make sure its what you want.

I personnaly love it and i think you will enjoy, especially being a bigger bloke you can muscle it a bit more

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've got an '05 450, it's awesome
I changed the front springs from 4,2N/mm stock, to 4,6N/mm: Rear spring from 54N/mm to 62N/mm.
I'm not as big as you are, 180 cm and 105 kg,but my race ready weight is 118kg. This setup works very good for me.

For more detailed info on suspension setup, browse through the 'Suspension' forum here on gasgasrider. Youll find a lot of info there.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Tall seat, bar risers, and fastway pegs in the low position will help.