Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Default Metzler MC4 Front

Has anyone used the Metzler MC4 front tire? I bought one because I couldn't find my favorite front in stock, Metzler Extreme 6 Days.

I know the MC4 is supposed to be for soft soil, but the MC4 rear works great on nearly everything so I'm hoping for the same characteristics from the MC4 front. I can't decide if I want to take a chance with an untested front tire for the National Enduro this weekend or stick with the 6 days that has a few races on it already.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracker View Post
Has anyone used the Metzler MC4 front tire? I bought one because I couldn't find my favorite front in stock, Metzler Extreme 6 Days.

I know the MC4 is supposed to be for soft soil, but the MC4 rear works great on nearly everything so I'm hoping for the same characteristics from the MC4 front. I can't decide if I want to take a chance with an untested front tire for the National Enduro this weekend or stick with the 6 days that has a few races on it already.
Go with what you know. If it all goes badly I'll sweep you Sunday - I'm on row 82.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I'm liking the Pirelli Scorpion XCMS so far for mixed conditions in hare scrambles, but it seems a little light for running Tubliss in the more extreme rocks. M59 was my gold standard do it all tire, really need to find an equivalent replacement for that. I hear the Vee Rubber VRM300 is very close, is that what Jeff Melik runs?

Good luck guys.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I haven't personally used one but the local national champ uses them on sand tracks, 6de soft In vvsoft/mud, 6 de hard in in soft/ intermediate and beyond. He like you uses the mc4 rear in all condition ( as do I, it's the best by a mile).

Ps he can have Pirelli for free or Metz for a nominal fee and uses the Metz.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM

I tried one some years back. IIRC, the overall performance was pretty good, but the side knobs shredded pretty quickly in our area's sharp rocks.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo737 View Post
I haven't personally used one but the local national champ uses them on sand tracks, 6de soft In vvsoft/mud, 6 de hard in in soft/ intermediate and beyond. He like you uses the mc4 rear in all condition ( as do I, it's the best by a mile).

Ps he can have Pirelli for free or Metz for a nominal fee and uses the Metz.
That's good to know. I'll try the 6 de hard next time, but I think I'm going to try to get one more good race out of the 6de soft for now. Do you know if the 6de soft is being discontinued?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Go with what you know. If it all goes badly I'll sweep you Sunday - I'm on row 82.
I'm hoping that the only time I see you is in the pits since I'm on row 12, but I appreciate it the sentiment just the same.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I'm liking the Pirelli Scorpion XCMS so far for mixed conditions in hare scrambles, but it seems a little light for running Tubliss in the more extreme rocks. M59 was my gold standard do it all tire, really need to find an equivalent replacement for that. I hear the Vee Rubber VRM300 is very close, is that what Jeff Melik runs?

Good luck guys.
This is my absolute favorite right now as well. I couldn't get the MS last time and went with the MH and am not as happy with its performance(still ok just not quite as good)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracker View Post
That's good to know. I'll try the 6 de hard next time, but I think I'm going to try to get one more good race out of the 6de soft for now. Do you know if the 6de soft is being discontinued?
FYI australian east coast condition generally are a mix of sandstone based hills with lots of hard sandstone rocks (think square edged and sharp sedimentary layered rock and lots of ledges) and badly draining leached brown soils that are rarely 'loamy', they go clay or mud after not much rain.

we dont see alot of granite rocks and only see round stones in creek beds and dont get much nice natural loam, or for that matter genuine deep sand ( we might strike a 100 yards of it at the base of a valley, or in a reach of a creek, river etc. most national championship racing is on this sorta ground.

the 6de hard has much more pronounced side knobs than the 6de soft and can climb ruts with stiff suspension, it also has a stiffer side wall which feels better on the harder stuff. It maintains traction really well but isnt as good as the 6de soft on grass tracks and mud. they both seem really hard wearing out hear. Conditions mean a lot with tyres except the mc4 (i'm sure it was invented by aliens!)

the local tyre shop stocks ( I kid you not) the mc4 and the 6de hard only (dungog tyre service) as they work so well here no one buys anything else.

the aussie ktm team use the xcms pirelli fronts and the use that in everything except desert, its a very good tyre that doesnt quite last as well as the metz. i believe pirelli own metzeler btw

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info. You make it sound as if it is even better than the 6de soft for soft - intermediate terrain.